Fleurieu Winery Tour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Fleurieu Peninsula
February 5th 2013
Published: January 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

IMG_1063IMG_1063IMG_1063

Lake Breeze - easy breezy caberneezy
The weather gave us relief from 40+ degree days, so what else to do but take in some of the local wineries. We are so lucky to have nearby wineries amongst rolling hills, sunswept plains and cool lakes. For me January is a month of self imposed max 1 glass per week, so going designated driver was a no brainer.

We headed for Langhorne Creek and first stop was Lake Breeze. A nice little venue a few k's out of town and down a narrow fenced flat topped levee to a dirt carpark (had a few nervous moments however we ventured in). Big trees offered shade for our chariot while we sampled. We joked the narrow driveway would keep tasting visitors honest.

Back into town and stopped at Cleggett Wines (gravel carpark no trees). A wise and knowledgeable host served us some interesting facts and blends, including a white red. Pictures on the wall reminding us it was a flood plain, in the 90's mother nature had blessed them with floods that were a reminder we are just temporary custodians of the land and we have no real control.

We didnt have a chance to get out of
IMG_1073IMG_1073IMG_1073

marilyn impersonator
second gear before pulling into the car park at Bremerton Wines (gravel capark great trees). Nice venue, lovely old building, food and beverages available for purchase. Reds werent to our palate, so far all shiraz were sharp and highly sulphured. We were in full swing of the day by now, shinanigans were sneaking through the cracks, sideways snaps, so lucky to know these chaps.

We did a run out the Strath road for a few minutes looking for a winery that didnt exist, dang they dont exist anymore, probably bought out by one of the multinationals, never mind Jen. We idled into the tree infested park on the Welly road and pulled up right by a picnic table and feasted on freshly made sandwiches.

We had been kind to Bleasdales on previous occasions but were always time challenged. Today we took the time to view the barrel room and press. A 3.5 tonne tree trunk lever press used to make little work of pressing grapes, very ingenious for the time.

Heading south towards the lake, my navigator(s) are beginning to trust my compass and premonitions of turn offs. We barely pull up in time to make Rusticana's
IMG_1067IMG_1067IMG_1067

sideways shinanigans
carpark, a worn gravel variety with trees if your willing to walk a bit. The big ol' tree near the homestead is erie and impressive. Our host slowly warms to our sense of humour as we sample some unique blends including a zinfadel and a durif. They involve horseradish into their products, and their wine is no exception, definitely a unique drop. Still no luck with the shiraz but the cab sav is worthy of the higher rows of my wine rack. After inspecting the horseradish plantation from the amazing deck, we depart with our winnings.

We stop to take in the cool air at Milang right on the lake, hard to say no when the boat launch (car park) is smeared with freshly laid black stuff. Refreshed we head toward Finniss then left onto Winery Road (could it be anything else) and after safely negotiating some fords we pull into Currency Creek Winery (veritable tree fest amongst white earth). A nice vantage point on the crest of the plains overlooking the valley below. A great venue for parties, interesting menu and some red wines that failed to impress. Anita snared some peanuts we began to devour during departure.
IMG_1074mIMG_1074mIMG_1074m

Gum Trees at Milang


A newish winery named Ballast Stone was next, small building and massive carpark (gravel, cut lunch and water bag to find a tree). A keen and friendly host did the best she could with the wines on offer, which were a let down after the rich earthy and spicy rusticanna. We had enough time for one more before heading home, which would it be.

Some great navigation had us drooling at the 'highly worthy of a motor bike ride' Mount Compass to Goolwa Rd. Mutterings from the back perforated the sound barrier between the front and rear seats... the turn off should be here somewhere. And sure enough a u-turn had us on a narrow sealed road heading for Deep Creek Wines. The chariot pulls up uncertain if the little driveway down the valley is our targetted entrance. We cautiously navigate down the narrow lane and up the other side to a cute little 3 car parker (fine gravel, smallish trees with natural character shaded our wine retrieval transport).

I venture a 'Gday mate' to the geezer climbing off his quad. Making sure we were in the right place, we headed to the quaint little artists loft.
IMG_1078IMG_1078IMG_1078

a friendly wave
Again there was some trepidation in getting started, both host and guests uncertain of what was to unfold. Soon we had warmed to the environment and were impressed at the reds. The host soon worked out we were friendly in the highest calibre. The first winery of the day to present a shiraz worthy of mention. After a good 40 minutes of tastings, jokes and stories, we had found a definite winner that will certainly be revisited. The host ensured each vintage was carefully cared for and presented for the most discerning palate, with no detectable trace of sulphur. A delightful eclectic find.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

IMG_1080IMG_1080
IMG_1080

kangaroo dancing
IMG_1082IMG_1082
IMG_1082

Glorious view from Currency Creek Winery
1084m1084m
1084m

Every alpaca had a name, at Deep Creek Wines


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb