PORT PIRIE TO POINT GIBBON


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Cowell
July 2nd 2013
Published: July 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Left Port Pirie on a cold miserable overcast day threatening to rain. As we moved north the cloud slowly cleared and when we got to Port Augusta it was lovely. We did not linger in PA as it is so close to home we can visit anytime but we need to pass through on our way home so maybe then. I really want to go to the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden here where I can get some more native plants for the garden and if I am brave enough to the Wadlata Centre. My issue with Wadlata is all about the very large 3D snakes with my phobia it could be difficult, but I will try.

We were aiming for Point Lowly, you leave the Whyalla Road about 10 kms north and head 26 kms east. When we got to Point Lowly we discovered it was right next door to Port Bonython, the camp site was stark and set on a hill overlooking the ocean. The big thing it had going for it was the toilet block.

For the non South Australians Port Bonython is a hydrocarbon processing plant and shipping centre which operates 24/7. PB was not even listed on the map in Camps 7. There were two more campsites close by in Fitzgerald Bay so we headed off for them. We came over a hill and spread out in front of us was the most beautiful bay and peaceful scene you can imagine.

We had a choice of the bay side camp or a bush camp. We did not get past the bay side camp. We are parked on a slight rise right next to the pebble beach, fabulous. I did not know that pebble beaches were in Australia let alone so close to home. Very small, nothing like the 90 miles or so of Chesil beach near where GMan comes from. The water is very shallow and crystal clear the tide moves in and out relatively fast one hour we are looking at 60 feet to the water and next 30 feet. There are only a few people here and it is quiet, peaceful and beautiful. The small waves make that soothing swishing noise which is so appealing

Because of the cold overnight and the condensation which we manage to generate we have the whole van open and drying out. There is a slight breeze which is cool but pleasant. I like this place, free camping at its best.

I wandered down to the waters edge at low tide to where the mangroves are, at least I think they are a mangrove. The pebbles have lots of oyster and mussel shells indispersed amongst them. There are broken shells of what look like oysters but of an enormous size. We have decided to stay here today and enjoy the sunshine and view before heading off to Whyalla tomorrow for a little sightseeing then on further south.

I was just starting to wander off down to the water again and a car stopped with three young people in it. They told us they had been "dumpster diving" in Whyalla and at the Woolies store they found 5 unopened boxes of grain wave chips 1 day out of date and asked if we wanted some. Needless to say we now have some chippies. Perhaps if food gets too expensive we should try this "Dumpter Diving" lark. I wish you could dumpster dive for diesel.

We reluctantly left and headed for Whyalla this morning. As we entered we went through the industrial area. It was so like the mining area around the Boulder Block hotel all those years ago I was dreading what the town would be like. It is really very nice. Lots of trees, very neat and tidy and the number of wonderful Art Deco buildings about is incredible. I even saw one which is now an equipment hire place beautifully painted up. I also noticed some houses of that era as well. The Art Deco society must go mad when they visit here.

We wanted to visit the Maritime Museum and do the tour of the HMAS Whyalla the first ship to be built here which is now a permanent display. They charge $10 each for entry but we had to wait two hours until the first tour was due to start, so we gave it a miss. We did the vital thing and bought the lotto ticket for tonight then headed off to the Mount Laura Homestead Historical Museum. We had a great time there. The most wonderful collection of stationary engines we have ever seen, all types, all fuels, all ages. Needs a lot of work but what a great place it was. The two things which really caught me eye was an electric car which was built in 1947 (note from Photo it appears to have been registered) and the original tinny.

In the actual homestead there was a fabulous collection of irons from all eras and the most gruesome looking corset but the most interesting was the wood chip water heater and tin bath. The first two rented houses we lived in Kalgoorlie when I was little had these. Those heaters were excellent.

The stocking knitting machine was pretty interesting too!

We then headed south to Point Gibbon where we are in a small community camping ground with a hybrid toilet, camp shower and an honour box for donations to help with the upkeep of the camp ground. It is very close to the beach, in fact we can hear the waves thundering in about 150 metres away.

Just after we got here we headed to the beach to look around, it is not as pretty as Fitzgerald Bay, but has cliffs, a white beach, the remnants of a jetty and a wonderful deep blue stretch of ocean. I was amazed to see salt bush growing right on the edge of the sand and gazanias actually growing on the beach!

The last two days have been beautiful clear skies and getting to about 19c though the nights have been cold.

We are only going to stay here tonight and have not yet made up our minds where we will head for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



2nd July 2013

Looxury!
19deg? Looxury! When I were a lad . . .
2nd July 2013

Streaky Bay
When you get over to the west coast, do visit Streaky Bay. Fond memories.
3rd July 2013

Dumpster diving
Interesting idea - do you need special equipment for this sport? I'm picturing camouflage wet suit, garbage grappling hook and roller blades for a fast get away ....
3rd July 2013

Dumpster Diving
I think you need to add a breathing apparatus, it is a rubbish dumpster after all.....

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb