Day Two


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
September 14th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a quick stay in Burra we are on the road again, heading to Coober Pedy in the north of South Australia if that makes any sense. Burra was a gorgeous little place and we all agreed that we'd like to return there. We stayed in the Paxton cottages which was like stepping back in time. The cottages were tiny roomed, low ceilings and walls made from stone a foot thick. Freezing. We think they may have been part of a monastry as the office was once a chapel - Australia's first methodist bible chapel - and there is a school attached too. We had dinner at the pub opposite whcih had a pretty rough front bar and, conversly, a really nice dining room. The footy was on in the front bar, but we don't want to talk about that. I'm glad the Saints won for you Spencer and Angus, and for Robert Harvey, but for no other reason. All exhausted, we went to bed without even one red wine had.

Up early this morning with Rubes crook. We left Burra just after 7 to drive to Coober Pedy. This is an amazing country we live in. The undulating hills of the Flinders Ranges were just beautiful. They looked unreal, like someone had draped fabric over a surprise underneath. Baulders hold the fabric down like pins in a cushion. Drove through some pretty small places, old towns with even older shops and buildings. We had to stop at one point as a herd of sheep were going the wrong way until the drovers (one on a bike and one with a big stick) got them up the embankment and on their way. Message to Finnan: We have seen sssssooooo many Shaun the Sheeps we might make our own show for ABC kids. I was pretty excited to be passing through Port Augusta, but it wasn't that great actually. An industrial place, a bit shabby. The landscape has changed after Port Augusta. It is flat, orange soil, low bushes and few trees. Occasionally a flat-topped hill appears and we all wonder if thats what Ayres Rock will look like.

Advertisement



14th September 2008

ahem
Go Sainters and yes it is fair weather down here. kids swam in the pool yesterday. Howelly, butters and I will hijack a petrol tanker + a diesel tanker and meet you at ayers rock. Hey 13 your house sitter throws a helluva party

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb