Adelaide Again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
April 5th 2010
Published: April 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

G'day, mates, how're you going?

We're already starting to sound like Australians! We're definitely learning some new vocabulary. Barry has been having quite a time ordering a cup of coffee. He's a regular guy, he likes his regular coffee. With milk, not cream, please. Now ordering coffee here is quite different. Here's why:

Short black - expresso coffee
Long black - closest to regular coffee, no milk
Flat white - regular coffee with cream
Skinny white - coffee with low-fat milk

If Barry orders a regular coffee with milk the person behind the counter looks totally flummoxed. It's been been quite an education for him.

We spent two nights in Adelaide solving our technological problems. Our GPS unit hadn't worked since we left home and we wanted it for driving in cities, we needed a mobile phone in case our motor home broke down in the middle of nowhere or one of us was carried away by a wombat, and I felt completely frustrated at being charged between $6 and $12 for one hour's worth of internet connection in the caravan parks. We took a bus into town solved all three problems. We now have a phone (we'll have to leave it behind when we leave Australia), the GPS is fixed (it turned out to be a human problem - I won't tell you which human), and, best of all, we got an IPS internet stick. Now we can use the internet wherever we go.

It poured rain early one morning in Adelaide, the worst storm in two years. Even the power was out. But within a few hours it was sunny and warm again. The areas around the city badly need rain. There are dozens of vineyards outside of Adelaide. We really enjoyed the drive northwest to Pt. Augusta. The land is dry, dry, dry. We stopped in a couple of towns that were like ghost towns.

Barry wanted to play golf in Pt. Augusta and that became another experience. I said I'd walk along with him and caddy. Well, the flies were so bad they nearly drove us crazy. I finally took off one of the knitted club covers and whacked myself all over as we walked. Not fun. We had fly nets for our heads in the motorhome but apparently it gives a bad impression if Canadians are seen on Australian golf courses looking like fools. That's what Barry says, anyway.

I think I've worked out the photo-sizing problem so I'll post some pictures from a ways back. Till next time,

Noreen


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th April 2010

Leonie and I were wondering if you had a picked up a Aussie mobile phone. If you can send the number to us we'll call you on it. If you can email to the richard.j.logan@gmail.com it would be great. Cheers Richard

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb