Walking Across Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
April 12th 2010
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Barry is playing the World's Longest Golf Course so tonight finds us very near Kalgoorlie, northeast of Perth. I'll write in length about the golf course in a few days once we're finished the whole course. It's been a wonderful drive. The southern coastline is incredibly beautiful and raw, shockingly high cliffs that drop off into the ocean. All the tourists books say that the drive along the Eyre (Air) Highway through the Nullarbor Plains is mind-numbingly long and boring but we think it's beautiful. For about two days we didn't see a single tree (Null arbor means No Trees) and the sky-line was 360 degrees of absolute flat land. One day we startled three emus as we roared past and we've seen a couple of kangaroos too. Barry is determined to see a camel and the road signs suggest we may do that.

We heard yesterday that two Canadian men were walking along the 1,138 mile Nullarbor Golf Course and we thought it would be fun to meet them. This morning about 10 a.m. we passed two young men walking the opposite direction from us, each pulling a hand-cart. Barry swung our motorhome around and we went back to talk to them. They weren't the Canadians; they were a nice couple of Aussies called Leigh and Sam who are walking across Australia, from Perth to Sydney. We were so glad we stopped because we really enjoyed meeting them. They decided to do the walk just for the experience and they are about one month into a three-month walk. It's terribly hard work because the roads are narrow and each time a big truck comes along they have to pull off the road. Getting started again is a bit tough but then they pick up momentum. They're a little bummed out because their solar battery is worn down from watching too many movies on their lap top at night! They also haven't seen wild animals like they were expecting to. Surprisingly, hardly anybody ever stops to talk to them. Sometimes one car a day will stop.

We offered them water or Cokes and, since they have loads of water with them, they jumped at the chance of a cold Coke. Leigh said the'd never turn down chocolate or soft drinks. We only had three cans of Coke but they were thrilled to get them. Leigh wrote down his blogspot address so we can follow their trip. They're modest and don't think anyone will be interested in following them but, if you are, here is the address. It's .

Since Barry and I will be turning around and going back along the Eyre Highway towards Sydney we're pretty sure we'll be seeing them again. We're going to get some more Coke and put some chocolate into our fridge to give to them. They're having quite an adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th April 2010

Leigh and Sam
We have just returned home from travelling from Perth to Murray Bridge in South Australia. We met Leigh and Sam and stopped to talk to them. They gave us the same address of www.perthtosydney.blogspot.com but we can't seem to find them on the site? Could you please fill us in on how to find their site? Thank you for stopping and talking to these guys. We never had much to give them, but they were happy to get two mandarins, a bit of lettuce and one lonely tomato. Christian Regards, Ron and Nita C.
30th April 2010

Sam and Leigh
Hello, it was nice to read your comment on our blog. I don't know why you can't get Sam and Leigh's website. I copied and pasted the site you mentioned and got the website immediately. Sorry that I don't know how else to help you. I did send them a message but had to create a Yahoo account to do it. Good luck. We really love traveling in your country. Noreen

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb