Alice springs to adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
November 26th 2007
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

And part tour of the tour - alice to adelaide!! much better tour!!

DAY 1- Walked Kings Canyon - this was really cool - or not as the temps soared to 37oC. Apparently the cut off temperature for them allowing us to do the RIM WALK (all round the top of the canyon) was 37oC, when we started the walk it was 36.5oC, so we were ok to do it. When we finished the walk the temp had gone upto 37oC. It was hot. On the walk we saw the canyon, Garden of Eden (tropical plants and a water hole) and the Lost city - erosion caused the rocks to look like a city! There are lots of interesting plants in Oz, ones where their sap acts as a waterproof plaster but if u get it in your eye it will permanently blind you, trees which had white zinc powder on their trunks which aboriginals used to use as sunscreen for their babies, and trees which aboriginals would make spears from which had a toxin in them that would cause paralysis to their kill (ie a kangaroo) but would not kill them only injure them so the animal would stay
Kings CanyonKings CanyonKings Canyon

Up we go!!
alive until they could get it back to camp - this meant the food would not go rotten before they got it home!! very clever stuff!!

This was the first night that me and ange braved it and slept outside under the stars in our swags - although i never got in mine as it was too hot so i just slept on top in my sleeping bag!! and nothing got us - wohooo!! The stars out here are amazing -i have never seen stars so bright or twinkle so much as what i have seen out here - its annoying i cant take photos!!

DAY 2- up early for ULURU sunrise so we were up at 4am - oh yes! We then did the base walk as it is disrespectful to do the climb - it took us 2.5hours to walk all the way around. I was thinking it was just gona be a smooth mound of rock but its actually quite interesting to look at - all undulating and bumpy!! There were certain parts of the rock that u werent allowed to take photos of as they were sacred and if u did u could be fined lots of money. We then went onto Kata Tutja (means many heads - lots of rocks) and did the Walpa gorge walk, now apparently Kata Tutja there are still secret and sacred things that go on with the aboriginals here so it is not allowed for people to go to certain parts of this place (even areoplanes have to circle Kata Tutja and are not allowed to fly directly over it just incase they see stuff). After lunch we then went back to Uluru to do a guided Mala walk, Travis our bus driver/guide talked to us all about sacred MENS/WOMENS business and how the aboriginals are today - very interesting (and quite sad about how things were done back in the days to do with the aboriginals). This evening we wateched the sunset at Uluru with champagne an nibblies.

DAY 3 - Driving day, a lot of ground needed to be covered so it was mainly driving - me and ange found it easy to entertain ourselves - we did renditions of LIKE A PRAYER by madonna using our waterbottles as a microphones. Pretended to be on a rollercoaster in our bus seats (theres a picture), played vampires with cashew nuts or sweeety snakes as our teeth!! we had fun. We saw this big Goanna cross the road, wedge tail eagles, brumpys (wild horses) and also we saw whirly whirlies (little tornadoes) they were so cool!! This day we crossed the northern territory/sourthern australia border. We arrived at Coober Pedy - it was so great and quirky here - underground houses (we stayed in an undergroud hostel - very cool). It can get upto 50oC there at times. We had a tour of the opal mines - opal is gorgeous - if anyone would like to get me any jewellery of white opal feel free - it is so pretty!!! Each person who lives there can have their own plot of mining ground for a sum (not very much money), but the expense is getting all the digger equipment!! Its so funny cos obviously out there they need explosives for their mining so any car with explosives in them has to be labelled so it was quite funny just seeing these cars with EXPLSOIVES labelled on them.

DAY 4 - Driving day again. Today we drove through opal mines, desert, salt marshes, a beach, mountain ranges
Kings canyon againKings canyon againKings canyon again

We cheated a little bit - we wanted to make the rock look even redder in the piccies so we put ange's glasses over the camera lens - hehe - u learn tricks whilst traveling
and saw lots of road trains. Had lunch at Port Augusta. The day ended at Rawnsley Park - a sheep station. We had magic tricks that night from Min (guy from korea - not miss mannettaly). It was fun except he used me as a trick, he said that he was gona try and get the lid of a bottle to suck inside the bottle by using a lighter on the bottom to heat the bottom of the bottle, so he did this and then banged the table but it didnt work so he said he needed someones' help so he picked me and ran his finger down my nose and forhead to gain the "extra power" he need for the trick - except i was the trick cos he had put the soot from the bottle (where he had lit it with the lighter) and had wiped the black stuff down my face - how mean!! what a little bumhead!!

DAY 5 - Flinders range walk. This was a 4 hour walk up a mountain - Mt Ohlssen Bagge. It was between 35-40oC, we are so hard-core - hehe!! The views at the top were amazing!! As per
Me on kings canyonMe on kings canyonMe on kings canyon

the lost city
usual me and ange did our stupid pictures!! It was so funny cos it was here that we met Tim who we had met in Cairns (how weird), but he asked a favour cos he had left his camera in the place that we were staying at, that night and he asked if we could find it for him and send it back to his home address - cos he hadnt made any copies of his pictures. Luckily when we got to our hostel it was there so we're gona send it on for him - he was so lucky - i would cry if i lost my camera!! hehe, we thought we would be funny so Tim has got a few more pictures on his camera than he thought he would - hehe!!

From here it was to Parachilna. Only 6 people live here - very quiet. It was so cool though as we got to sit in a Road train - man are they cool - this bloke had a bed and tv and it was so nice in his cabin thing!! i want one of them for at home now!! This night we tried emu, camel and kangaroo again, all very nice i thought. We then went over to the pub and had a drink - very cute pub - old fashioned, had beer barrels for bar tables and best of all TWINKLY LIGHTS!!!

DAY 6 - TO ADELAIDE - WOOHOO!! Get this - we had to wear jackets cos it was really cold and windy today!! All we did today was go see some more aboriginal art in a cave, also saw a dead, shrivelled up kanagaroo! Later that night we arrived in Adelaide - get in there!! Meegs and Robs is lovely - its like we're in a hotel - we have our own room with queen sized beds (i get lost in mine, im so used to being in a single). And i have a normal towel thats cosy and nice instead of my stinky old travel towel!! It rocks being here.

The next day we went to Glenelg which is lovely, its by the sea and meegs works there. While meegs was finishing up in her shoe shop and counting the money me and ange were running round the shop trying on all the shoes (i found this gorgeous pair),
Being vampiresBeing vampiresBeing vampires

cashews and sweety snakes
and we played a game of who can find the funniest pair of shoes - ange won as u will see by the picture!!

The next day we were off to Goolwa (i have had much trouble pronouncing this name) for the weekend to the beach shack. Very love little shack! We visited Victor Harbour, the classic car rally was on and somehow meegs drove into the actual race where the cars were getting ready to drive out - opps - hehe it was so funny, we had this stupid woman waving her hands at us to tell us to move - stinky old bum!! We also went shoping for food and i got told to go to the car by meegs for being naughty and teasing ange - hehe!! (it was only a joke i didnt really have to go to the car though) we like to play up - i think meegs and rob will have a sigh of relief wen we go!! hehe! It was a good weekend, the weather wasnt that hot and it was a bit breezy but nice though, we had a BBQ and fitzy and Stacey (meegs cousin) came down and we
SunsetSunsetSunset

Uluru (ayers rock) on the left and Kata Tutja on the right
had a few drinks - it was such a funny evening!!

And now me and ange are vegging out, watching tv and dvds - its great!!

Love you all loads and loads, and miss you lots and lots xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Me and Ange Me and Ange
Me and Ange

Playing shadows - look im as tall as ange - i think my hat is helping me out here though
View of coober pedyView of coober pedy
View of coober pedy

That big screen is an outside cinema
coober pedycoober pedy
coober pedy

Space ship from the film PITCH BLACK
coober pedycoober pedy
coober pedy

In the process of building an underground house - They dig into the side of the rock not down into the rock which is what i thoguht happened
us at coober pedyus at coober pedy
us at coober pedy

it feels like ur on the moon as it is so dusty!!


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.054s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb