Roughing it in Adelaide...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Glenelg
November 25th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Amazing underground churchAmazing underground churchAmazing underground church

Not much to look at from the outside, but really good inside.
25/11/08 = Port Augusta and the Ants

Woke up and got our 2 minute shower. Really was a 2 minute shower and had to pay 20cents for it - apparently the water really sparse/expensive in Coober Pedy. Before left town, went to see the underground church, which was really cool. Very old style, with exposed walls and a lectern and big crosses made out of wood. Shame that the chairs were just normal plastic chairs; didn't really look right. After that, we did the usual re-stocking of ice and petrol and set off for Port Augusta. I drove first part to Coondambo, then swapped and Deb got us to Port Augusta.

Could see that we were leaving outback on this journey because started to see the sea and coast - really nice. Found a caravan park and because it was still afternoon and sunny, headed for pool. Perfect sunbathing weather at 3 o'clock - not too hot and managed to top up tan. Decided to head for library then because caravan lady had told us that they have free internet - brilliant. Went back to van to pack up and that's when we noticed all the ants! Had got all in our kitchen area (i.e. sink and shelf); all in our food, pots and pans. Had to pull everything out, but the more we got out, the more ants we saw and the more that we realised a quick sweep out wasn't going to cut it! Re-packed all and headed straight for supermarket and some ant spray. Emptied all out again in supermarket carpark and gave everything a good spray - pulled evreything out. Knew we hadn't got them all, but best we could do without some kind of ant bomb.

Didn't do much after the ant infestation. Used the free internet, re-stocked some food (nasty ants) and then went back to park. Moved our van this time though, because owner told us that people sometimes jump over fence and rob vans - just the kind of thing you want to hear before you go to bed! Parked ourselves right in between 2 other caravans just to be safe. Had some pasta dinner, watched some Australian soaps (not Home and Away or Neighbours), then went to bed.


26/11/08 = Adelaide: Glenelg Carpark

Left Port Augusta quite late because had a lay in, went to internet again and had to go to supermarket again because realised had left my shower gel in 20cent shower in Cobber Pedy. Really annoyed because I was doing an experiment to see how long it would last too and it was still a third full - see Mum, I don't use that much!

Not far to Adelaide and did most of the driving in one go. Stopped at Port Wakefield though, needed petrol, swapped drivers and got a picture of Wakefield sign. I had to direct to Glenelg then and hate map reading when in city centres. Very proud of self though, managed to get there without getting lost or any fatalities - maybe my geography skills will be better when I get back. Decided on Glenelg because a couple we were talking to in Port Augusta recommended it and said all the 'young' people like it - brilliant to be called young! Drove round trying to find a place we could park for the night. Have decided that now we are on the coast, can't afford to stay in campsites every night, so going to park up on roads for 2 nights, then treat selves to a caravan park
UnbelievableUnbelievableUnbelievable

Really big place too.
every third night. Finding somewhere to park was harder than it looked though, all say 'No Overnight Stay' - obviously must be what loads of campervans do. Parked in a free bay then headed for information lady to see if she could help us find somewhere. As it turns out, she wasn't as informative as we had hoped she would be and told us to stay in caravan sites. On our own again.

Before looked for somewhere to live, got priorities right and went to get some fish and chips. Quite nice too and a small portion was really big. Glenelg town was really nice and really busy, especially considering it was 2:15 on a Wednesday. Had a walk up pier and then sat on beach for a while (carefully trying to position self so that did not get sand in pants...just about managed it). When got a little cooler, decided to try and find somewhere to live, so went back to van and set off on journey again. Tried campsite lady had told us about, but was really posh and really expensive, so started to scope out Macdonalds car park. Looked like our best option - at least it had toilets! Carried on up coast though and managed to find a carpark on beach near the toilets and a shower. Didn't say 'No Overnight Parking', just said 'No Camping' and technically, we are not camping - we don't have a tent. It was the best we could do, so headed down and chilled out on beach reading our books. Got quite cold and was too early to settle in van, so had a little nosey around area we were staying in, but nothing there. Went back to van and then I went for a walk along beach to watch sunset. Was really nice and loads of people out, but after sunset, everybody left, so I left too; didn't want to be on a dark beach on my own. Went back to the van, chilled out and then went to bed early hoping that no-one would give us a ticket in the night.

27/11/08 = Getting Ready for Christmas

Slept o.k., but woke up early to get changed and move van. Freezing and shower was an outdoor beach shower, so gave that one a miss. Had to get a wash like Victorian people did in olden days:
Sunset at GlenelgSunset at GlenelgSunset at Glenelg

Van parked just behind beach at this point - not a bad place to sleep (apart from the council man).
cold water and lots of shivering. Really not nice. Were ready before 7am, so decided to chill for a little while and read books. Just starting to snooze when Deb woke me up and told me that a council man was coming. He came round to the door, I opened it and this is what was said:

"G'day ladies. How's it going. Did you stay here overnight?" said the council man. (How's it going is not a question out here - it's just another way of saying hello)
"No, we just got here about an hour ago" said Deborah.
"Are you sure?... I've had some reports that people stayed here last night" said the council man.
"Yep, I'm sure" said Debs.
"Alright then" saind the council man, and off he went to another van that must have arrived later in the night.

My name doesn't appear in this list beacuse I am rubbish at lying, so just did lots of nodding instead. Such a good job that we were up and ready. If he had come 20minutes earlier, I would have been in my teddy bear pyjamas and Deb in her zebra's - not sure the lie would
Sunset 2Sunset 2Sunset 2

Decided to cut out all the middle ones - realised I may have pushed my luck with the rock photos!
have been as effective then. Waited 10minutes until he had driven off, the we went back into Glenelg town.

Had my banana sandwich breakfast (becoming a favourite) then headed out to town. Was a beautiful day yesterday, but today = grey and cold, so put all layers on (including rain macs) and went to library first. Internet was all booked up for day, so had to head into town and somehow avoid spending money. Ended up looking at all christmas things and feeling a little sad about being away from home, although weather is pretty similar right now! Went into a coffee shop to warm up. Got nice pot of tea (v.English) and treated myself to a rocky road biscuit/cake. Never had rocky road before, but is really popular out here. Can't say it was the best thing I have ever had (I'm not a fan of marshmellows) but it was chocolatey, so still went down well! Stayed in cafe for ages, reading book and drinking quantious amounts of tea. Then went back to some of christamas shops. Bought myself a cheap advent calender (definately not cadburys chocolate) and then headed back for van, deeply disappointed by the lack of sun.

Nighttime was uneventful because of rain. Used internet, had some food in van, then moved to our overnight location = Brighton. Had scoped it out earlier in day and found a street along beach with no signs to say we couldn't stay there, so that was us sorted. Was really cold when we got there and breeze from sea was more like a tornado. Tried to light gas burner to cook some food (which looked really funny since it was just on a pavement at side of road, in front of v.posh houses) but wind just blew it straight out. Had to survive on some handfulls of raisons instead - good job I had the rocky road earlier, the calories in that can keep me going at least a few days!

Getting to sleep was awful. My side of van was next to sea and wind was coming through van as a draft of freezing air right next to my face. Slept in usual teddy pjamas, socks, jumper and wrapped up like a cocoon in sleeping bag. Even put sleeping bag hood up. Drifted off listening to cars going by and still shivering - this can't
Lovely sky at GlenelgLovely sky at GlenelgLovely sky at Glenelg

Everything is lovely about Glenelg....x
be Australia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Luxory Beach Accomodation number 2Luxory Beach Accomodation number 2
Luxory Beach Accomodation number 2

Trying to light the burner with gale force beach winds, on a pavement outside some poor peoples houses, who probably paid extra for a sea view - not a tramp view! Sorry x


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.058s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb