Mt Barker Day 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide Hills
October 11th 2011
Published: October 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

HahndorfHahndorfHahndorf

No ...not like Grindelwald in Tassie !
Neil and I did 'Boys stuff' in the morning. We finished putting together my water pump which will supply our shower and general wash up water tanks with water when we need to refill these tanks from rivers, dams, tanks etc. What a brilliant gadget if I do say so, based on a 12V spray pump it will deliver 6Ltrs a minute, details available, (at a small fee payable into my B/acct) , when requested..just ask me!
We also attacked Neil's van's sink outlet, the TV aerial bracket on both vans plus a few other jobs and importantly found a brilliant shop called "The 12V Shop". anybody with a camper or van should know about this place...just google them, brilliant!

The Girls went shopping in Mt Barker village where they found some lovely shops and of course, great coffee. Thankfully they did not purchase too much (remember the budget!).

In the afternoon we all went to Hahndorf, arguably the Hills most famous town. It is Australia's oldest surviving German settlement, despite Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants, together with the Scottish Heritage shop !!! Today 100 YO Elm trees line the street and as you will see from the attached
HahndorfHahndorfHahndorf

Fantastic old buildings, many built to replicate the style of building back in the owners home town in Germany.
pics many old buildings still in excellent condition remain. The German heritage is evident in the smallgoods outlets and German bakeries that line the street. We enjoyed lunch at the Hahndorf Inn where we had a trio of German sausages , sauerkraut and pretzel bread washed down with this years Oktoberfest beer. A great afternoon out in a highly recommended town in the hills behind Adelaide.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

HahndorfHahndorf
Hahndorf

Magical street scapes...I could publish lots of pics from here!
HahndorfHahndorf
Hahndorf

Trish and Jackie in Hahndorf outside a wine cellar door


16th October 2011

Hahndorf, a real world version of Grindewald?
Hiya! Great to see the photos are coming along, looking forward to the next instalment of them - especially some of Hahndorf! For some reason I am imaging it is like Grindelwald but less regimental and more lived in? The German sausages sound great! And you were just in time to catch the end of Oktoberfest! Were you served by a beer maid and was the beer in steins?? :) Good to hear you took full advantage of having Neil around with the odd jobs before you guys said goodbye!
17th October 2011
Hahndorf

Once again, a very photogenic couple!
Hahndorf looks very cute! Not what I imagined at all! I think I could spend a few days wondering around the old buildings, and maybe sampling some of Hahndorf's finest sausages and beer.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb