Mups and Stumpy at Wonga Beach 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 5th 2012
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are staying at Wonga Beach which is just north of Mossman. What a lovely spot. The weather hasn't been too crash hot - a little overcast but no rain, thank god!

The kids have been to the beach and swimming in the pool. They have a great pool for the Kids here, complete with a spa and slippery slide.

We have been out to see Mossman Gorge. It is just beautiful but a little too commercialised and touristy for our liking. I preferred Granite Gorge because you could get right down into the gorge and walk through it, as well as swim, and there were no tourists. Even though, Mossman Gorge is well worth a look at and we really enjoyed the experience. The kids didn't swim in the gorge because the water is positively icy! It's abit of a doUble edged sword because we have seen a couple of spots that would be great for a swim but during winter it's too cold and I don't think I'd like to be up this way in the heat of summer! (you can't get into the cape during the wet season anyway). Gav liked Copperfield Gorge the best, mum agreed as well. I suppose it really depends what you are after, I would just prefer to be away from all the tourists ( even though I'm one myself!).

We decided to tackle the Crebb Track today. We thought we would take the opportunity to do it without the trailers as it is very steep and advice is not to tow when doing this track. We pulled in to the visitor information centre to confirm where the track begins on our maps only to be faced with a large sign saying the Crebb Track was closed due to significant damage suffered during the wet season. If we chose to ignore this we could be faced with a $2000 fine! With great disappointment we drove to the start of the track and sure enough it was closed. Bugger- after black mountain track being closed and part of the Mossman Gorge being closed we were beginning to feel like we wouldn't get to do any of the things on our list! Not being able to drive the Crebb Track means not seeing The Roaring Meg Falls either.

We put plan 2 into action. When we looked at the map we noticed that we could still do the Black Mountain Track from the opposite end to where the bridge had collapsed (the bridge collapsed right at the southern end of the track and we were now at the northern end). We figured when we reached the spot without the bridge we could just turn around and go back the way we came.

So off we went and the plan worked beautifully, we found an awesome spot to have lunch by the creek and you wouldn't believe it,the bridge was being repaired when we got there and they let us through! ( we were one of the first cars to drive over it!!!). I have never heard or seen a council work that quickly before! Maybe a little luck is coming our way.

When we get further north we are going to stop in and just see if maybe we can access Roaring Meg Falls either another way or from the northern end of The Crebb Track. (fingers crossed).

We went to have a look at Port Douglas and treat ourselves to some fish and chips by the beach. Would you believe we couldn't find one place that did fish and chips. Port Douglas definitely caters for the beautiful people and is full of restaurants and cafes, similar to Noosa I suppose. Gav managed to find one place that did some hot chips and potato scallops so we sat down at the water to enjoy them.

When we got to Port Douglas there was a sign saying we could purchase fresh prawns straight off the boat, so we bought 2kilos, some fresh bread rolls and seafood sauce and when we got into camp we enjoyed them for afternoon tea. They were sensational! Without doubt the yummiest prawns I have had in ages - heaps better than Coles that's for sure!!!

Tomorrow we are heading up towards Cook Town and then into Lakefield National Park following the Bloomfield track.

Should be fun. (gee I hope that track is open! Ha ha).

We completed the Bloomfield track. Great drive, very steep in parts which made towing hard work but easily manageable. Some great scenery Through the Daintree rainforest but the weather still isn't the best so I'm sure on a clear day they would be even better.

At the end of the Bloomfield we stayed at The Lions Den Hotel for two nights. This is a typical quirky Queensland pub and a great spot to stay. The first day we went to the northern end of the Crebb Track and hooray we were able to get through to The Roaring Meg Falls and this meant being able to drive approx one third of The northern end of The Crebb ( from Ayton down to The Meg Falls). What a great drive and amazing scenery and the falls are just beautiful! We were stopped by a parks ranger with a family in the car with him. This poor family had spent the night stuck in their car as they attempted to go further into the track and became well and truly stuck! They weren't the only ones. There was also a group of young fellas who became stuck and had robe collected by some locals! (they were probably driving toyotas!! Haha).

Back to the lions den hotel that night and it absolutely bucketed down all night and blew a gale, it was a miserable night! We went and had pizza at the pub - really yummy!

From here we went into Cook Town. I really love this place! We only spent the day in Cook Town but I could have easily stayed longer and I would love to be there for the re enactment of Cooks landing. Cook Town is a place definitely worth a visit and I will be back one day!

We are now camped at Elim Beach and all I can say is I think I've died and gone to heaven. It is just gorgeous! Will tell you more in my next blog entry................

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb