Australia - Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
January 13th 2007
Published: January 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Whitehaven BeachWhitehaven BeachWhitehaven Beach

This famous beach on the Whitsunday Islands was as beautiful as it looks in this photo!

On the road again....



On 3 January we moved out of our Sydney apartment and flew up to Brisbane. Here we hired a car and began our Northward journey towards Cairns.

Sunshine Coast
We spent 3 great days here with our family friends, the Hofmans. It was great catching up with them - Dave had last seen them when he was 13! We really enjoyed a little town called Noosa which had awesome waves for surfing and good for kitesurfing too. We spent a day in Brisbane which is much quieter and laid back than Sydney and is set on the banks of the Brisbane river.


Fraser Island
4x4's only on Fraser island so we caught the ferry across and did a 23 km overnight hike up to the beautiful Lake Mckenzie which has white, white sand and fresh water. That evening we were sitting next to the tent when a highly venomous 2m Tiger Snake slid by - needless to say we sisn't sit out there much longer!
On the walk back to the ferry I had to rescue Pen from the web a a massive spider!

Town of 1770
Named after the date when
Cairns Dive CourseCairns Dive CourseCairns Dive Course

Our 1st scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef. Can you spot Pen's blonde moment?
Captain Cook first landed in Queensland this was a beautiful little town and the last Surfing/swimming beach, anywhere North of here has no waves and Box jellyfish and Irukanji.

Whitsundays
We went on a boat cruise through these amazing islands, stopping off for a few hours on Whitehaven Beach and did some amazing snorkelling.

Mission Beach
The conditions here were perfect for kitesurfing but there was 1 problem - the beaches were closed because of the Box jelly fish. We had to resort to some extreme hamocking instead!

Magnetic Island
The highlight here was a walk we did to try and spot Koalas. We were lucky enough to get really close to 2 of these cute little creatures. They are so sleepy!

Cairns
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away! This was really true of our diving course in Cairns. We trained for 2 days in the classroom and pool with Cairns Dive Centre (highly recommended) and then spent 2 days diving on the great barrier reef.

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour of Queensland, the changes in scenery and climate as you travel
CassawaryCassawaryCassawary

These large birds can be pretty dangerous - we found this one lurking outside our tent at Mission Beach!
North are spectacular.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Magnetic IslandMagnetic Island
Magnetic Island

We got up really close to 2 of these wild Koalas. They're really cute and sleep 20 hrs a day!
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

The start of our hike on Fraser Island ... it was hot!
Fraser IslandFraser Island
Fraser Island

Our hike on Fraser island, we hiked for 10kms without seeing anyone. Fraser is a beautiful but wild place snakes and spiders on land and sharks can be seen swimming offshore!
Fraser Island - Lake MckenzieFraser Island - Lake Mckenzie
Fraser Island - Lake Mckenzie

Dave relieved to have reached the Lake after lugging that pack around all day in the heat!
Dolphin FeedingDolphin Feeding
Dolphin Feeding

These 2 dolphins arrive everyday at Tin Can Bay and you can hand feed them a fish or 2.
Sunset in 1770Sunset in 1770
Sunset in 1770

A beautiful sunset over the lagoon at Town of 1770 but it's true, the more beautiful a place the more bugs there are!
Another Shrimp on the BarbieAnother Shrimp on the Barbie
Another Shrimp on the Barbie

They have these gas BBQs everywhere which are free to use. What a great idea!
WhitsundaysWhitsundays
Whitsundays

On the yacht in the Whitsundays.
Whitehaven BeachWhitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach

Our very sexy Stinger Suits to minimise the risk of being stung by a Box jelly fish or Irukandji.
Daintree Rain ForestDaintree Rain Forest
Daintree Rain Forest

Tropical Northern Queensland, the Daintree Rainforest is a world heritage site.
Australia ZooAustralia Zoo
Australia Zoo

Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo.


29th January 2007

Wow!
Thanks for the update. Looks amazing-nice to recognise some of the places I went-Whitehaven's still as white as ever!!! Keep the pics coming and have fun x
29th January 2007

crikey
in between beers guve me a call! looks awesome
29th January 2007

what a way to start 2007!
Hi Guys I have been thinking of you both lots - thanks for the update and incredible pics! wow! all the best in New Zealand, loads of love and blessings Deb ps writing board exam on 7th feb then finished!!!cannot wait.
31st January 2007

amazng pctures of ueensland
H Dave and Pen, sounds lke Australa has lots of dangerous snakes and jellyfsh. Enjoy your tme n New Zealand; we enjoy all the weird and wonderful things you guys are doing; enjoy every moment of it. Lots of love Mom

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb