Whit Sundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
May 6th 2006
Published: May 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

our bunkour bunkour bunk

Nathan is a big tough guy
May 6
We arrived in Airlie beach and had a few days to spend until taking off for a sailing trip of the Whit Sundays Islands. The girls are really sweet but spending this much time with a group of 8 girls is definitely starting to get on my nerves. Tom and I decided to get away for the day and hired scooter bikes for 4 hours. We basically just drive around at a maximum of 80 km/h throughout Airlie beach and its surrounding areas. I needed this for my sanity, and it was a really fun day. That night I was in bed by 6pm and up by 10am which was a much needed rest for our sailing trip which was starting at 1pm that day.

Its been an interesting Whit Sunday’s vacation to say the least. The Whit Sundays are a set of islands on the south end of the Great Barrier reef and is supposed to be like ‘Heaven on earth’; what we had was hell on a boat. The weather was cloudy turned rainy but the crew seemed really positive and fun: Mich the Chef, Dave-o the Decky and George the Skipper. It was our group of 10, a guy named Reed who was a friend of Georges and 4 Swedish girls. The Swedish girls had their trips paid for them by a company trying to advertise ‘slapping the goon’ shirts. Goon is box wine, and the idea is that “anything this bad needs to be slapped”, there is a really bad game to go along with it. Day one we went snorkelling and saw all the colourful fish and reef and hung out on the boat sailing across what looks a lot like sailing along the coast off Vancouver. We spent the night playing the observation games that we played in Kroombit with the frustrated group of passengers travelling on our boat, the SV Whitehaven. That night was when the issues really started. Im sure you all remember the rhyme we all heard as children, for those of you who need refreshing.

‘sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite’
My additive has always been
‘But if they do then get a shoe and beat them til they’re black and blue
And if they scream then get a beam and beat them til they’re like whipped cream’

Lets just say the bed bugs
starboardstarboardstarboard

BEautiful view. and im not tlaking about the scenery
are real and hungry and there were no shoes handy. Half the passengers slept on the deck which was freezing cold and rain washed under the canopy. The other half slept in the only uninfected room, I was somehow lucky enough to get this room.
The next hung over and sleep deprived day was spent napping and snorkelling. We went to Whitehaven beach which is one of the nicest beaches in the Whit Sundays . It was pouring rain and still nice, but I’m sure it would have been 30000 times better in the sun.

George managed to get us rooms on a resort island called Long beach free of charge. Here there was a Jacuzzi, a pool bar where you literally sit in the water and order beer (this was unfortunately closed), a volleyball court, sauna, second bar, and comfortable beds.. Bed bug free. This night was spent in all of these places, all of them with a drink in our hands. Needless to say, this night was a gong show and our girls went to bed early so we spent the night with the crazy Swedish girls. The next hung over morning we went for one more snorkel and then headed back to bay in Airlie beach where the sun is FINALLY starting to come out. Go figure.

Tonight we’re meeting up with everyone from the boat at or hostels bar for free jugs and more good partying.

Cheers



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb