17th February 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
February 17th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

17th February 2008
We woke up early and for a few minutes the rain had stopped. Minutes later it was back and has been fairly steady all day, but it has remained warm at around 28 degrees. We had decided to have a cafe breakfast until we discovered it didn't open until 9.o'clock and it was only 7.30 so we bought a full breakfast in the resturant and made it last 2 hours!
During a lull in the storms we went for a walk along the bush tracks from Happy Bay Long Island Resort to Palm Bay Peppers Resort. On the way we visited Fish Bay and Pandanus Bay these bays are on opposite sides of the island but this point the island is only 70 metres wide. Some of the other tracks were closed due to fallen trees and mud slides. We also saw some very wet wallabies and very noisy cockatoos on the way.
We stopped for coffee at Palm Bay, this is a much quieter, upmarket resort before making our way back to Happy Bay.
Most of the activities at the resort have ground to a halt except for volley ball in the pool which looked a bit beyond us so we went back to the spa pool to sit in warm water as the rain bounced off our heads.. I did a few laps of the pool and went in the sauna then dried all the clothes in the dryer. After a snack we went to see the fish at the jetty as the activities guy had decided it as too wet to run a group activity. Jo and I did consider a massage or even a pedicure at the beauty parlour as trench foot is now a serious consideration but the salon charged a bit too much so we had another shower instead!
There has been a severe weather warning for tonight with very high winds forecast,.We hope that these high winds might, with a bit of luck, blow this tropical rain out to sea. Let us hope so as we are getting a bit fed up of all this rain now not to mention feeling like Jonahs as the storm seems to be attached to us as we travel north!.
We have just heard Arlie Beach which is where we have to return tomorrow by ferry is the centre of the storm, and is reported to be cut off. I hope this place has plenty of food in!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



18th February 2008

Weather
You certainly picked a good time to visit Makay! I've just returned from 4 days of Tasmanian bush walking in glorious sun. Would you believe that my daughter and family were on Frazer Isl at the same time as yourselves.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb