Gem Fever


Advertisement
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sapphire
June 26th 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

If you are looking for a place of no pretence; where people are who they are whether it suits you or not; where keeping up with the Jones's is not a concept they entertain and where the bush speaks loud and clear amidst the dirt and dust; spend a month in Sapphire, as we did and discover a different way of life. You may even strike it rich if you are lucky or just have fun trying.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

BillyBilly
Billy

These huge rocks "Billy" have been dug out of claim mines and are dumped in folks yard.
FossickingFossicking
Fossicking

For our experience, Dave had to dig for his supper. Of course Lilly was supervisor. He has to dig in the layer of wash, under the top soil.
A TourA Tour
A Tour

We joined a tour group to learn the ropes. After digging, tumbling to get rid of the dirt. That is the dry sift.
WillyWilly
Willy

The willy is used to wash the stones. A handle jiggles the sieve up and down.
Tea TreeTea Tree
Tea Tree

I remained very busy sitting by the tea tree. Have a close look at the tree.
A Bit of Adventure A Bit of Adventure
A Bit of Adventure

Often, to get to places to fossick we found ourselves on great tracks.
4WD4WD
4WD

Had to use 4WD often too.
Graves Hill, our new camp..Graves Hill, our new camp..
Graves Hill, our new camp..

Found a clear flat camp spot with a ready made hole with virgin wash. Dave was in heaven. Our interlopers dug in this hole the day before but failed to leave a bucket there to signify they were working it. So bad luck Jack! They spent 3 days digging outside our kitchen window then announced they had found a better hole to go too.
WaterWater
Water

We had too go into town for our water. 100 L for 50 cents pumped in 15 seconds. There were often line ups of locals with utes loaded with huge water tanks.
Wet Sieve Wet Sieve
Wet Sieve

Dave didn't have a Willy Wash so we bought this $10 bucket for him to sieve the dirt. He would do his dry sieve first on the back of the truck in that yellow tray.
Tell Me a StoryTell Me a Story
Tell Me a Story

Lilly loved to hear stories of Dave's findings. So he set himself up with an old drum, ply, matting and a stool to look for gems.
Knowing What to Look ForKnowing What to Look For
Knowing What to Look For

You can see the slight colour change and lustre of the sapphires and zircons. We also bought Dave this great clawed tool to pick them up with.
All in a Days WorkAll in a Days Work
All in a Days Work

This was one day's Sapphire find. They are flawed but still exciting.
I've Been GoodI've Been Good
I've Been Good

Ok we can have a walk.
Stan & JackieStan & Jackie
Stan & Jackie

Stan and Jackie are claim holders and have been coming up to Sapphire for 30 years. They were the first people to dig the hole Dave was working and open it up.
Sapphires from the HoleSapphires from the Hole
Sapphires from the Hole

They found a 94 carat sapphire in the hole we were digging. These are parts of it.
Cut SapphiresCut Sapphires
Cut Sapphires

These were found by Stan and Jackie.
Star RubyStar Ruby
Star Ruby

My favourite. I love the way the sunshine picks up the star.
CitrineCitrine
Citrine

They also fossick for crystals.
Gumly GumlyGumly Gumly
Gumly Gumly

The locals drink Gumly Gumly tea from trees in the area to cure cancer.



5th August 2013

Gem Fever
Loved the photos especially the very friendly cow and Lil doing her yoga. Looks like you have been to a lot of the places we went too before heading to Cairns. Did you do any good in the diggings?
5th August 2013

Not well enough
I didn't do much digging, far too much hard work on the back and shoulder but Dave got enough to keep him interested. Apart from 12 sapphires, he got quite a few zircons. But there is no need to rush to the bank and change our lifestyle. Not that we'd want too. LOL.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb