Ravenshoe Qld


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Ravenshoe
July 16th 2022
Published: July 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Ravenshoe is the highest town in Queensland, sitting 920 metres above sea level. And yes it can get cold here. One morning we woke up to a frost on the grass. Situated on top of the Great Dividing Range, Ravenshoe lies between the Wet Tropic Rainforests to the east, while to the west lies the drier open forests of the Gulf Savannah, where we have just come from.

Ravenshoe should really have been named Waterfall, as there are numerous waterfalls in every direction. Our first waterfall to visit was Millstream Falls, which has the widest single drop falls in Australia. We then visited Little Millstream Falls, which are not little at all.

Millaa Millaa is a small town east of Ravenshoe, formerly the centre of a large timber industry, which unfortunately logged many of the giant cedar trees. Thankfully the area was World Heritage listed in 1988, and the natural rainforests are being preserved and growing for future generations to appreciate. Millaa Millaa is also in the centre of a Waterfall Circuit, and our first waterfall to visit in that area was of course, the spectacular Millaa Millaa Falls. From there we drove to see Zillie and Ellinjaa Falls. On the drive back, we stopped in to view Windy Hill (appropriate name) Wind Farm.

Millaa Millaa lies in beautiful dairy country, which is similar to the Bega area. We drove out to Mungali Dairy Farm Cafe, where I may have had some scones with fresh cream and a milkshake. From there we drove to see Souita and Pepina Falls.

The Millstream (of Millstream Falls fame) flowed at the back of the caravan park in which we were staying. Each afternoon between 4 and 6pm, we would wander down to the creek, where the platypus would emerge to play in the creek and hunt for food. They were relatively unaffected by our close presence, and it is hard to fathom that I have waited over sixty years to see platypus in the wild.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb