Port Douglas - Nature Adventure 4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
November 12th 2012
Published: November 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Adventure 4 was the simplest and most laid back - the sunset cruise on Lady Douglas.

Far North Queensland is known for a couple of troublesome locals that need caution around the waters edge. My favourite bite thing is the salt water crocodile. I dont want to tangle with either the stingers (2 types of jelly fish) or the crocs, but admire the crocs smile all be it a menacing look.

The sunset cruise is intended to spot crocs, and as the air temperatures are warming now, more will come out onto the estuary banks. Our skipper for the cruise was getting a little ancious that we had not spotted any, swimming or on the bank, and on the last reach of the estuary, there she spotted a 3 metre plus male. These creatures are not afraid of boats or people which is why we need to be cautious when entering their environment. I saw on TV recently a wildlife photographer who swims with crocs. Do not try and emulate hime with either our salties or freshies - they bite big time. Better, get a camera with 20x zoom and take your closeups from a safe distance.

Besides crocs, we have seen numerous sea birds in the estuary system. Also, we have seen the effect of cyclone Yassi which struck this area 12 months ago. There are several sunken yatchs on the estuary shore line.

The cruise is a flat water cruise for the most part, and the staff provided drinks and nibblies as we traveled. We missed the sunset bit as the sky was rather too cloudy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Out on viewOut on view
Out on view

3 mtr plus male croc. How do you tell the difference? Guess by size or take your life in your hand and go check! I took the skippers word!
Happy snap!Happy snap!
Happy snap!

Bitey bit looks dangerous and well used!


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb