20th February 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
February 20th 2008
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

20th February 2008
Our first day for some time with no rain. We managed to book a trip to the Great Barrier Reef for today at the last minute late last night. We were picked up at our motel at 7.45 am and taken to the port to catch one of the Quicksilver company,s boats, Quicksilver Sonic, to the outer reef. The weather was forecast for showers but we started in watery sunshine on our very modern dive boat. Complimentary tea ,coffee and savoury buns and cake made a great breakfast and we spent about 1 hour 30 minutes speeding out to Agincourt Ribbon Reef which is right on the edge of the continental shelf. The clouds looked magnificent if a bit threatening over the hills on the coast.
When we approached the first dive sight we had a short snorkel briefing while the divers went below to get kited up first. The masks and snorkels and fins were good quality and fitted well, unlike other holidays where we have snorkeled. Bob's moustache sometimes presents problems getting a tight seal but the boat was well equipped for beardies. We had to hire lycra stinger suits to protect us from the marine jelly fish which are often seen around the coast in the wet season. Most just give an unpleasant sting but there are two in particular which can be fatal and need immediate treatment and hospitalisation. These suits help to protect swimmers against jellyfish. The tentacles of the Chironex box jellyfish are several metres long while the Irukandji jellyfish known as a sea wasp is only 2 cm across. You definitely don't want to mess with these!
The first dive sight was awesome and the best of the day as the sun was shining and the colours were just unbelievable. Fishes of every size, shape, and colour from colourful stripey pyjamas types to black and white round the tummy stripes like convicts. I never realised how many types and colours of coral there are and the shapes are wonderful. We saw huge giant clams of many colours and when you swam over and blocked the light they closed their giants mouths up. The sea slugs were ginormous and as big as a log. Bob felt as if he was swimming in a giant aquarium with fish as big as himself. Luckily the reef sharks were smaller and scared of us.
At the second dive stop they also served us a buffet lunch which we ate before starting our second dive. There was a good choice of hot and cold food to choose from and the fresh fruit was delicious. I was getting more confident in the water and swam on my own without clinging on to Bob all the time and the fish came much closer and stared at me before darting away. Very strange when they feel almost as big as you!
At the third and last stop the snorkel guides took us along the best bits of the coral garden. they call this bit the nursery as there are so many juvenile fish. It is just like an underground garden with so many colours and shapes of coral, from bright pinks and purples to red, orange, blue, black, white and yellow. Some of the corals are rigid and like boulders and other look soft and furry while others waft gently in the current. As you can tell I was enchanted and would have stayed for ever, but all too soon the hooter went to call all divers and snorkellers back to the boat. It was only when we got out we realised how tired and cold and totally waterlogged we were.
Back on the boat the air conditioned saloon, which had seemed lovely and cool in the morning, seemed freezing and it was better to sit on the upper deck and warm up with tea and coffee and cake. As we raced back to port Quicksilver Swift the bigger sister boat came along side and overtook us going into harbour. That boat had 85 passengers and just goes to a big pontoon anchored on the reef. so we were glad we had chosen the three sites trip with fewer passengers.
Back in the port the buses were waiting to take us back to our motel. When we got back we decided to play in the pool outside our rooms and get rid of the salt water. It was a quick dash from the pool to the room as the mozzies were lying in wait as soon as we steped out of the pool with the insect repellant washed off!! They are the only downside of this wonderful place , you can't let your guard down for a minute or they get you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st February 2008

Brave
Well done for braving those shark and jellyfish-infested waters! I think I might have sat that one out given the full body suits and warning messages on the beach. Still, you both look alive in the later photos so no ill effects. Carine says, Nice shorts, Bob!
22nd February 2008

wow
great discription feel like i was actually there with you! just need to see the pics now! Your whole trip is a real education i'm learning loads, just wish my kids had the patience to read it as well. Keep having fun
22nd February 2008

SO pleased you enjoyed the reef and the pool at the hotel I recommended - bit of a relief... Now we wait and see how you LOVE the northern territory!!!!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb