21st February 2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Daintree
February 22nd 2008
Published: February 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

21st February 2008
When we woke this morning the sun was shining and there was not a cloud in sight. The sun made it feel much hotter but the shade temperature only rose a couple of degrees but the humidity was very high which always makes it feel much hotter.
We got up early today ready to head further north to Mossman and Cape Tribulation We went past Mossman as we plan to walk up the gorge on the way back and continued on to Daintree Village.
There we decided on a river cruise to see saltwater crocodiles, unfortunately the River Daintree was quite flooded as is usual for the rainy season. Crocs, like humans are not too keen on floods as it makes their shallow river bank hidaways too fast flowing and they go further away from the river or further down stream and hide away until it's over. They don't need to haul out on the banks as the weather and the water are very warm. In the dry winter season they lie around on the banks sunning themselves and are much easier to see. The females are away guarding their nests higher up the banks at the moment. So despite the guides best efforts there were no crocs up river. However we did see a splendid golden orb spider sitting in her web surrounded by tiny male spiders waiting to sneak into her web when she went to fetch prey from the edge of her web. Then they tap dance on her back to send her into a trance. Given less than half a chance she will eat them. Nature is very strange
We were allowed a second free trip with the boat further down the river so we opted to go later in the day. We went back to Mossman to find out where the walks up the gorge went from and to get lunch.
I have had a turn driving as the traffic is minimal and the automatic gear box make driving very easy. Bob still couldn't bring himself to enjoy the view and the twisty roads are not good if you get car sick. So I'm back to navigating and he is driving!
The Mossman gorge is beautiful and although we only went for a quick look today I can't wait to go back and walk up the tracks. I stood in the clear water and snapped the black spot perch swimming round my feet. There were people swimming in the water although it is quite dangerous when the river is in flood and so fast flowing.
We did our second trip and saw a small saltwater croc curled up on the bank. These are the most dangerous of the two types and although juveniles can survive on a fish diet as soon as they are full grown anything is fair game. The farmers loose 4 or five cattle a year when the cows come down to drink and slip in the mud and splash about alerting the crocs. A male “salty” can grow up to five metres and can be very dangerous.
To continue further North towards Cape Tribulation we had to catch a car ferry across the Daintree River.
We have a ticket for the discovery centre which has aerial walkways above the rain forest canopy but we were so tired today we decide to do that tomorrow as we are suffering from information overload.
We have booked into a rain forest lodge which is right in the heart of the forest with nothing but trees and a creek with a little freswater turtles in it. It really feels isolated and as we are the only guests we had the dinning room to ourselves. The meal was excellent but I made the mistake of borrowing a book on the fauna of the rainforest. Well, the spiders and snake section was terrifying as all the poisonous snakes and spiders seem to live here in Northern Queensland!!! I am not going out early with the camera in case the spider webs are across the tracks and the snakes are about.
It has now started to rain again at about 7pm in the evening, just as we are having our evening meal, just to give us atmosphere.
Anyway my cameras are really struggling with the humidity and heat and misfires all the time, so I am struggling to get the pictures I would like (only 6,000 pictures taken so far).
The rain forest is the most amazing place and the creatures that live are quite unique. I am so glad we have finally got here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



25th February 2008

6,000
wowza, 6,000 photo, hope there are some of you amongst all that lot mum!!!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb