Port Douglas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
February 10th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Port Douglas is lovely, there is a long golden beach and a very small relaxed town. Unfortunately we are over here in their Wet Season. The last few days prior to our arrival there was torrential rain, flooding and a cyclone threatening the area.

The temperatures are really high, but it is muggy, overcast and raining off and on all the time.

We have been unable to go on the beach, normally there is a net sectioned off part which is used and has coastguards but due to the recent bad weather there is a lot of debry being swept on to the beach and to ensure that the nets are not damaged they have been taken down. So although it is now calm, warm and the sea has temperatures of 29 degrees, we have been unable to have a swim. Luckily our accommodation has four pools, two of which are by our villa so we have at least managed to get some swimming in!

A lot of the tours and things have been cancelled due to the recent bad weather and we have been very unlucky with our efforts to getting out to the barrier reef, however, we did manage a great trip visiting the Rainforest and that was superb - other than the mossies really loved Bob and he is now covered in masses of bites.

We managed to get our last day in Port Douglas with some sunshine and it really did make a huge difference to the feel and ambience of the area. Bob and I both think that we will return but in the time for some better weather so we can see the Barrier Reef for real. We did see a fantastic 3D film of the barrier reef and also go round the specialised Barrier Reef Aquarium where we saw the fantastic colours of the fish, corals and starfish but I doubt that it would be the same as snorkelling around it.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb