Port Douglas Qld


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Port Douglas
August 13th 2022
Published: August 13th 2022
Edit Blog Post

As we drove into Port Douglas, it was apparent that the town was next level to anything we had experienced on our caravan journeys to date. From the exclusive golf resorts lining the main road into Port Douglas, the luxury condominiums as we edged closer to town, the Italian style rent-a-recliner chairs at Four Mile Beach, to the designer shops and trendy bars lining the main street, Port Douglas is the place to be seen. Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

The town was almost totally destroyed by a cyclone on 1911, and was close to dying out, until developers discovered the town in the 1980’s. It has certainly come a long way since that time.

We were happy to play the wealthy tourist, and stroll up and down the main street, visit the beach and look at the picturesque views from Flagstaff Hill overlooking the town.

It is undoubtedly a beautiful location, and we really enjoyed the Cliff Top Walk of around 4 kilometres, with views out across the Great Barrier Reef, over the town and along Four Mile Beach. They even have a dedicated Cruise Ship Lookout along the Cliff Walk. We walked down to the Marina and surveyed the yachts anchored there, some of which would not be out of place in Monte Carlo. It is a testament to the popularity of Port Douglas that we were only able to secure a two day stay in the local Big 4 Caravan Park.

The weather was warm and sunny in Port Douglas, and whilst I did enjoy a swim in the Park Pool, I was tipped off by the Manager about a water hole along nearby Spring Creek where the locals swim. We drove out to Spring Creek and I had a relaxing swim in the croc free creek.

We enjoyed a vegetarian takeaway from a Food Van located in the Park on one of the nights, which was delicious, followed by a drive into Port Douglas for a yummy Gelato.

On the morning we packed up to leave, I drove into the Coles Supermarket to top up on groceries, calling by the jetty for one last view, and spotted a trawler tied up, with a long line of customers waiting to buy their fresh prawns direct from the boat. North Queenslanders love their seafood.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb