King of the Mountain


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Pomona
June 17th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Brisbane to Pomona

Just head straight up the Bruce Hwy

This morning a friend and I got up early and drove from Brisbane to Mount Cooroora, Pomona for a few hours of mountain climbing.

Pomona is a sleepy, small town inland from Noosa. Mount Cooroora is home to the annual Pomona, King of the Mountain Festival



Where a number of fearless entrants attempt to go up and down Mt Cooroora the fastest to win the race.

The start of the track starts off medium gradient and advances to the point where you are climbing on your hands and knees up rocks. There is a safety chain to hold onto for the majority of the climb and then near the top it disappears and you’re on your own.



As we were heading up there were a number of people who were obviously training for the King of the Mountain event. It was very scary to watch these people running, jumping, careening, sliding up and down, and barely dodging the recreational climbers in training for the big event.



We eventually reached the summit and were rewarded with sweeping 360-degree views around Mount Cooroora.



The decent down was scarier then the ascent. In some areas we were free sliding down on our butts or crab walking down on our hands and feet. It was a relief to get to the bottom in one piece.



It took us about an hour and a half to go up and down Mount Cooroora.



The weather was amazing, we had clear blue skies, a hot sun, and you would never have known it was the middle of winter.



Once we got back to the car we have a bit of a wonder around Pomona. We stopped in at the Pomona Hotel had a beer and the best chips and gravy I’ve have in a long time.



It was a lovely daytrip which I would definitely recommend to others.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb