Landbased whale watching on North Stradbroke Island


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In the winter of 2008, more than 10000 Southern Humpback whales were spotted off the headland at Point Lookout. Their numbers are slowly but steadily increasing with each season, and this is testament to our adjusted thinking and understanding regarding these magnificent creatures. Recent reports indicate that in the 2009 season their number had increased to around 12000, and the 2010 season promises to draw that number closer to 14000.
The humpbacks haven't always had such a carefree time in our recent past because up until the early sixties there was a whaling station very nearby that almost brought them to the brink of extinction in these waters.

In 1962, at the end of a ten year killing spree, the whaling station at Tangalooma on Moreton Island ceased to operate. The reason was simple, their Norwegian built whale chasing boats were such effective killing machines, that in just ten years, the whalers had decimated the population of Southern Humpback whales from over 10,000 to just a few hundred. This rapid annihilation put the continuation of the species at high risk, and the southern humpback whale sadly became endangered.

Since the closure of the whaling station, their numbers are on the rise and the world is fortunate that such intelligent mammals continue to navigate the oceans of this blue planet. This is due in part to the new knowledge uncovered in the 1970’s about the intelligence of whales, and this new knowledge brought with it new attitudes the world over. Compassion and understanding evolved for this majestic creature as we all learned more about them. In 1972, the whale became a world wildlife symbol for environmental conservation and a ten year moratorium on commercial whaling was enforced at the United Nations conference in Stockholm preventing their senseless slaughter.

Point Lookout is recognised as one of the best land based whale watching vantage points in the world and every winter we are in the delightful position to be able to witness the sheer spectacle of their antics in our waters - just fifteen minutes from Brisbane!

Humpback whales continue to awe and inspire the human species, so come and see them for yourself from June to October at Point Lookout, and you too will be captivated by their grace and majesty.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb