North Stradbroke Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » North Stradbroke Island
December 2nd 2008
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Powdery sandPowdery sandPowdery sand

Tyres at 16psi was required to get up the dunes
There is a camp spot on the eastern coast of Straddie we nicknamed ‘Camp Pandanus’ as it has two massive Pandanus trees shielding the spot from both Northerlies and the prevailing South easterly wind that blows there like the Sou’wester does on the West coast. We have camped on Straddy haf a dozen times and Camp Pandanus was always taken, given the shelter it has and it is one of the few spots perched on the first dune back from the beach giving it ocean views. Well, we had it marked on our GPS (thanks Chris we finally used it =)) and low and behold it was free!!! Yippeeee Yahooo welcome to Straddie! We have set up our full camp and have been here for almost two weeks just swimming, walking, a couple of surfs and of course preventing the thirst known to infect campers =)
We took a couple of drives on the rainy days, one which resulted in some winching practise! We also met a lovely bloke Frank and his wife Kerry both whom have spent most of their lives camping on the Island. Frank maintains the barges that ferry all to and fro to the island, he is
Winching practise!Winching practise!Winching practise!

It was only a small hill, but the car was sliding sideways down a steep bank into trees in reverse.
also fountain of knowledge about the progressive development of the island and a lot of the inhabitants. Both also like a tipple and we have spent a few raucous nights with them.
We will leave here this week to spend Christmas with Clarissa and Tom at Tambourine before continuing our journey south down the coast of NSW once the New Year is in.
So, thank you all for following our journey thus far. Both Kym and I wish you all a safe and happy Christmas and a smashing New Year. Until the next update, from somewhere on the North Coast of NSW in the New Year that will be all from us for a little bit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Friendly localFriendly local
Friendly local

In the Pandanus tree.


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb