Fraser Island & Dingos!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa
December 13th 2008
Published: December 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

G'day from Noosa.

Since we last left a blog we have done many more exciting things. Once we had completed our sailing trip we boarded a 12 hour bus journey south to Hervey Bay - a long drive but just tried to sleep the best we could. We picked up a 4 wheel drive,, all our camping gear and supplies and headed for the barge boat over to Fraser Island! The island is the only place in the world where rain forest grows in the sand - so all the tracks on the island are sand as it is all national park - no roads - so your 4 wheeling on the beaches and through the rain forest. The 1st day we headed over the the main large (74 mile) beach through the inland tracks and found a good spot to set up camp - tide comes in early you see! We made a nice area for ourselves - set back from the sea and cooked a nice dinner. At night a dingo came very close to our tent - we were warned about dingos before going to the island!!!

The following day we headed up to Indian Lookout to see the turtles and sharks in the sea below (another place where you cannot swim due to it being the largest tiger sharks nesting ground in the world!) After this we headed to Lake Mackenzie - have a look on-line if you can for a picture - voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world it is beautiful!!!!!

We set up camp in the Rain forest in the second night - so so loud from all the animals screeching - very scary! An early night was to be had as we were all freaked out by the bugs and noises!

So on Thursday we come off the island and waved goodbye to Jack - he has now headed to Brisi and we're meeting up with him in Sydney (he's going to Melbourne 1st) we over nighted in Hervey Bay. Yesterday we boarded a bus for 5 hours from there to Noosa. We are staying in Noosaville - but the whole ara is lovely - the nicest place we have been in Oz yet! Tomorrow we are moving on again -- headed to Australia zoo (home of the crocodile hunter (RIP!)) !!!!!! how very exciting, then on to Brisi for 2 nights.

I hope all is well at home - not too cold for you? 34 degrees here today!!!!!

Still not feeling very Christmassy - but they are showing The Santa Claus tonight on TV!

Lots of love Astrid & Chris xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb