Missing Mines and Minerals


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mt Isa
August 17th 2014
Published: September 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wild Budgerigars at Terry's LookoutWild Budgerigars at Terry's LookoutWild Budgerigars at Terry's Lookout

We stopped at Terry's Lookout, (about 80km before Cloncurry) for a break and a look at the view. The flock of budgies were sitting in a tree near me. It's the first time we've seen them stationary. They usually dart through like bullets.
We were up at 7am and set off by 9.15am for Mt Isa. Barry had been periodically seeing small fast birds since yesterday, which he swore were budgies, but I only ever had a glimpse, backlit, as they moved so fast. When we stopped at Terry’s Lookout for a break and snack, though, I found a small group of them sitting in a tree and feeding under it. He felt very vindicated!

Continuing on, we passed a dead black cow next to the road. I bet that did some damage to a vehicle.

We stopped at Cloncurry and went to the Museum attached to the Visitor Information Centre. It had an interesting area about the Mary Kathleen Uranium Mine that was closed down in the mid-1980s. It showed photos of the township looking like any small town then some showing it now. Once they closed the mine there was nothing for the residents so the whole town left, the buildings were sold off and all that is left are concrete slabs where the houses used to be, their gardens and the streets.

There was also a good mineral collection but the staff were very upset because yesterday someone
The Outback Has Trees, TooThe Outback Has Trees, TooThe Outback Has Trees, Too

For a while, on the way to Cloncurry, there were trees all around and for as far as we could see. It soon changed again, though.
had unscrewed the lids of the glass display cases and stolen about 14 of the mineral samples. They said some of them were not even valuable. The displays are around the corner from the main desk but it took some gall to spend time undoing several lids while the place was open to the public. The police were investigating.

After looking around, we had lunch in the park next door and then set off again. Barry had booked us into a caravan park in Mt Isa but he started to get drowsy 70km out and wouldn’t stop for a break so I spent the whole time singing, poking and feeding him lollies to keep him alert. I was very relieved when we arrived at the site at 4.15pm and got set up.

After a drink and snack he felt able to go into town for some milk and we posted Brent’s birthday gift. Hope it gets there on time. We also had a look at the Visitor Information Centre (closed) and saw a very realistic bronze statue of a miner at work drilling, complete with all the details of his clothing from his hardhat to his belt with
Another Decorated Termite MoundAnother Decorated Termite MoundAnother Decorated Termite Mound

This one was very bright. Not sure all these clothes are good for the termites as they have to maintain an even temperature in the nest and the clothes and hats would interfere with that, I would think.
a padlock on it and his boots (some wag had attached a real padlock next to the bronze fused one). It was created by Scott Maxwell and commemorates those people who have lost their lives working in mines. The “Outback at Isa” attraction seems very comprehensive, judging by the posters in the windows, so we’ll start there tomorrow.

Back at the van, I made dinner and then caught up on emails and some blogs, but I’m still behind. I’m also still coughing really well. Wish it would go away as it wears me out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Why did the Emu Cross the Road?Why did the Emu Cross the Road?
Why did the Emu Cross the Road?

To get in our way, I suspect. These two crossed ahead of us but were moving fast enough that we barely braked.
Statue of  Miner, Mt IsaStatue of  Miner, Mt Isa
Statue of Miner, Mt Isa

This bronze statue of a "hand-held" miner has a lot of detail with the clothes and held held drill he's using. It is dedicated to the workers who have died in the mining industry and their families. It was unveiled in 1998, after the community raised $100,000 to have it made by Scott Maxwell.
Cloncurry Minerals GoneCloncurry Minerals Gone
Cloncurry Minerals Gone

The collection of minerals at the Tourist Information Cenrte in Cloncurry was broken into yesterday. The thieves unscrewed the glass lids on several display cases and stole a selection of minerals. This happened while the centre was open and staffed. Sneaky!


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb