Normanton-Karumba


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mossman
August 18th 2009
Published: August 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well we finally said goodbye to Darwin and the humidity which was a bit hard to take and made our way down to Katherine which of course is famous for its gorges and the Katherine River.It is also a stopping or starting place for the famous Ghan train and we were lucky enough to see it getting ready to depart for Adelaide on one of the days we were there.It was very impressive with an enormous amount of carriages.Of course we all decided there and then that we may have to consider a trip on her before we get too old.So that is something else to add to the bucket list.we stayed at the Riverview caravan Park which was very nice just outside of town and very near the other great attraction ,the hot springs.Of course we had to have a soak there which was very pleasant.There are some very attractive spots where the Katherine River runs and we spent some time enjoying the scenery.We also had a very pleasant morning tea at the Manbullo Homestead which is also a caravan park and has some amazing trees which we now know are rain trees.The leaves close up at night and have moisture in them when they open in the morning again,hence the name.
Marilyn and Trevor went on a trip up the gorges as of course they had not been there before and we had done it quite a few years ago.Another place we visited years ago and of course could not go past was Mataranka again famous for the hot springs which of course we took advantage of.You spend an awful lot of time in the water talking to other travellers but you also pick up a lot of good tips about places to stay or visit.We had a meal at the tavern that night and while we were waiting there was a power cut.Nobody seemed fazed as they lit candles and in a short time the power was back on again.On this route of course the place not to miss is Daly Waters and its famous pub.Thank goodness we got there early for a planned overnight stop as it was soon full to overflowing .You have to sample the meals as they are superb and you also get free entertainment so a great night was had by all.The next morning the park emptied out as quickly as it had filled and we started off on our way to Mt Isa.
We had booked in to a park near Lake Moondarra which was a little out of town and away from the famous mines.It is a very busy town with a lot of enormous trucks thundering through.The mine is enormous and we went up to the town lookout which gives you more of an idea just how enormous it is.They mine copper,silver,lead and zinc and are the worlds largest producer of those commodities.
A very civilised place to eat here is called the Irish Club which like everything else here is very large.Inside they have a Melbourne tram which is used as a restaurant.The food was very very good and we really spoiled ourselves by eating out there twice.As we only usually eat out once a week this was a special treat and Marilyn and I were not complaining at not having to decide what to have for dinner!!We drove out to Lake Moondarra which to our surprise was again enormous.All this water in all these places and yet still everyone has water restrictions.
One of the jobs we did while at this camp was to clip my Freckles and Marilyn's Millie.Quite a back breaking job as of course they have to be bathed before you can clip but it was all worthwhile as they are so much easier to keep clean and that is a bonus as of course when we stay off road it is usually very dusty.Of course there is always a downside as the minute we did that the nights decided to turn really really cold so we decided that it was time to move on in the hope that because we were going up toward the Gulf of Carpentaria that the nights would not be quite as chilly.The daytime weather is still glorious but when you have dogs they usually want to go out around 6.30 -7.00 in the morning and that is not the warmest time to be out in your dressing gown!!
So we set off on our way to Normanton and hopefully an increase in temperatures.On the way we passed through several interesting places that normally you would just drive through without stopping.one little such place was Quamby which basically only had a pub which was made up of all sorts of bits and pieces and was originally a railway station.It had an old ute across the front which had been converted to steps to get inside.
We arrived in Normanton and the caravan park was very nice.There is not much in Normanton but it is home to the Gulflander train which does several different kind of trips and we were lucky enough to have the owner of the park dogsit for us while we went on a morning trip out to a lake where w had a lovely morning tea.The station is a credit to the people who look after it with hanging baskets and all sorts of very healthy plants.They also boast there own Brolga family and we were lucky enough to see "Gregory Peck" and his wife at close quarters.The main street also has a life sized crocodile which was a little over 28 feet long weighing about two ton.Definitely not something you would like to see peering over the edge of your tinny.
We took a day out and drove up to Karumba where all the mad keen fishermen go and they also boast some of the most delicious prawns for a reasonable price so we gorged ourselves on those for lunch at a nearby beach and then stocked up with more to take back to the vans for future meals.Our next stop was to be Mount Surprise .We passed through Croydon on our way another of those often missed places and again a lot of history and lots of interesting things to look at including the oldest shop.in Australia where we enjoyed the best hamburgers you have ever tasted.We always seem to be eating on this trip dont we. More from Mount Surprise onwards next time with a few surprises we could have done without.








Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb