mossman -cooktown


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bowen
September 4th 2009
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Mossman and the caravan park was very nice,not too crowded together and with clean laundry and toilet facilities which was very important as we were staying for three weeks.We got all of our chores up to date before Marilyn and Trevors visitors arrived.One of the first things we did was to visit the adjacent sugar mill and take a very educational tour.It was very very interesting and some of the machinery had been working since the 1800s and is still going strongIt was good to note that there is not one thing wasted after all the processing.Most of the waste products are put back onto the ground or turned into fertilizer and even the water used in the process is pumped back into the river cleaner than when it was taken out.About 80% of the sugar produced is exported and the really good thing is that we,Australians that is ,have developed a sugar that can be used by diabetics.It is quite amazing what has to happen before you buy that bag of sugar in the supermarket.
Our next job was to take the dogs to the kennels for a few days so that we could go to a few places that they are not allowed and also to give ourselves a bit of a break.We had booked into a motel in Cooktown for a couple of nights so we went and caught up with some of the history of Captain Cook and explored some of the spectacular scenery including Black Mountain which I found quite eerie.
This was just a mountain of huge black rocks quite out of character from everything else around and many people and animals have been trapped and lost in the caverns that have formed.As I said quite eerie.
Cooktown like many places that we are revisiting is becoming more and more popular especially now as the road is sealed so caravans can go up with ease.Of course if you want to do it the hard way you have to come back along the Bloomfield Track which we have done previously in fairly wet conditions but this time it was reasonable dry but still a bit of an adventure.The one spot you cannot miss out on is the Lions Den Pub.A bit on the lines of Daly Waters with all sorts of things hanging from the ceiling and walls .They make good coffee too.While walking around we saw a most beautiful and rather large monitor.Glad he was on a tree and not running around my feet!!! .
So it was back to Mossman and a few more sightseeing trips to Kuranda and of course Port Douglas for a lovely meal or two.

A day in Cairns was on the cards so we all set off on the beautiful winding coast road with the best views anywhere.We had just got back on the normal straight road when Trevor radioed to say he had a problem with his car.As we pulled up behind we could see it was a very serious problem as one of his rear wheels was just about off and the car was balanced at a very precarious angle.Luckily he had managed to pull over onto flat spot and eventually they came and took the car and although he had to get a new wheel it could have been so much more serious.
We also took a trip on the Daintree River which of course has plenty of water in it also plenty of crocodiles.I really do not like them and they seem to be in Plague proportions up here with danger signs everywhere where there is a square inch of water.Its a bit scary taking the dogs to some of the beaches as of course crocs are rather partial to dogs.Talking about the dogs we picked them up from the kennels and of course they were very pleased to see us until they realised it was bath time as they were a bit smelly.All was well until Buddy started coughing and a trip to the vet revealed he had picked up canine cough and was put on a course of antibiotics.The others were fine except that the vet took one look at Freckles teeth and said she needed a clean and possibly a couple taken out.This was not a surprise as the vet at home had said she would probably eventually lose a couple.So we are a few dollars lighter but everyone recovered and they are back to normal.Being lazy as usual!!!
Well our three weeks were soon up,the visitors left so it was time to move on yet again.We headed toward Townsville but decided we should have a few stops along the way some of which would be free camps.But our first stop was at Bramston Beach.What a paradise.The caravan park was right on the beach and although the facilities were pretty awful and old the position was wonderful.The beach was big so the dogs could run free away from the water and any threat from crocs and the sunrises were spectacular.There was no traffic noise as it was a dead end road and the rainforest came right down to the edge of the park.We did hear however that the place is likely to be redeveloped which will be criminal.It is one of the most tranquil places we have ever stayed so hopefully someone will step in and save it.
It was with great reluctance that we left there and spent the next night at a free camp between the road and a railway line.What a contrast!!!That brings us up to date,still not in Townsville as we found another of the many free camp areas along this road and have had two nights here at Toomulla Beach.We have the generators for power and we managed to fill the water tanks so we have plenty for showers etc.We have a T.V.signal and limited phone and internet so it is going to be tempting to stay another night.We are only about 50 kms from Townsville so we are getting down the coast very slowly.More next time.How about a few comments guys!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



5th September 2009

comment, comment, comment, comment........is that enough comments? ps glad to see you are all having a lovely time
5th September 2009

Been there
BEEN THERE DONE THAT BEFORE THOSE DAMN CARAVANS COULD SPOIL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8th September 2009

Nice Update
Great Update and very informative. Would love to see more pictures of Bramston Beach and if that's your photo of sunset - Amazingly beautiful. Sounds like your having a great time! See yo when you get to this neck of the woods. Hi to everyone........... Annie, Julie and the rugrats.
8th September 2009

What comment can I make?
You ask for comment? I ask for some of your free time, sunshine, sight seeing, camping, relaxing etc etc etc! Seriously though, this armchair touring is the probably the closest I will get to travelling the distances you have. For you it may be re-visiting many of these places, but they all sound very interesting to couch travellers like us! Glad you are all keeping well. Did I miss the "unwanted surprises" you mentioned after leaving Mount Surprise, or were you referring to Trevor's car? Bramston Caravan Park sound unreal! and that photo is awesome. Love to all, Gina
18th September 2009

WOW! Crocs
Hi guys, WOW. Big crocs. Not my idea of fun, but the sunset is nice. Glad all things ok. Sounds nice and warm and sunny anyway. It has been raining here like I have never seen rain. The dams have got to be filled by now. Water rising across the road..... good to see though. All well on the court. Lots of action at your house this week (I am guess from the water leak). Other than that, just school, rain, work, weeding, rain and new bunnies. Yes, girls got 2 new bunnies so that has kept them occupied. Hope you continue to have a safe and interesting trip. Thanks for the updates. Cheers, Donna and gang
2nd October 2009

Where are you?
Hi you two, just read your blog from about a month ago and wondering where you are now. Keep on enjoying.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb