WE'VE HAD A DUCKLING!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mareeba
September 11th 2011
Published: September 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

QuackyQuackyQuacky

Only one day old
The owners left us with a duck sitting on nine eggs and said they would hatch any day now.
So there I was checking on her every hour just to see if any had arrived.
A couple of days passed and the novelty of checking had worn off when we noticed she was roaming around the yard.
Panic set in as we ran down to the nest to see what was up. Then the smell hit us...A rotten egg had broken in the nest and every fly in Mareeba had come to check it out.
So we did our best to pick it out of there and ended up having to hose out the nest to get rid of the stink and the flies.
Thank goodness she went back to sitting on them.

Next day same thing all over again. But this time two more eggs broken and rotten. Not looking good at this stage, now down to six eggs and can't get rid of the smell.

Peter of course decided days ago that they were all rotten and had given up. But on day six there he was little "Quacky" the loveliest little duckling I've ever seen!
QuackyQuackyQuacky

About eleven days old and his first day outside!


Unfortunately none of the other eggs hatched so little Quacky is on his own.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.5kb