Attracted to Magnetic Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
July 22nd 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We loved Magnetic island. Peaceful, laidback and slightly off the backpacker run from Sydney to Cairns. From Townsville it's an easy 30 minute crossing on the Sun Ferries catamaran and then, if you stay in the Arcadia Beach Guest House, there's a good chance that Pete will pick you up in the Roller! This turned us into Flashpackers apparently. We got a little tour round in it as well and ooh didn't people stare. Louise gave them a little wave.

We spent three nights on the island. Alma bay, a short stroll, is picturesque and tranquil and great for a swim or a snorkel. There are a couple of great walks on the island, 'The Forts Walk' takes you up to the old WW2 installation (a hundred or so Aussie men and women were stationed here during the second world war) where there are views over the island and you might see a koala or two. The second walk connecting Arcadia Beach with Nelly Bay sweeps through the centre of the island. We enjoyed this one best. It was a bit more challenging and we saw four Koalas that day.

Close to Arcadia beach there are Rock Wallabies. The
Magnetic IslandMagnetic IslandMagnetic Island

from Castle Rock Townsville
locals have taken to feeding them once a day and if you turn up around 5pm they're all there waiting around for a bit of carrot. It's not really like spotting them in the wild but it was fun to be able to get closer and see them bouncing around, they move really quick!

Magnetic Island, so called because Captain Cook couldn't get his compass to work. But it turns out the island is not really magnetic after all and the Captain's compass was just broken. Broken Compass island? But then there is something quietly attractive about Magnetic Island and you might find it hard to leave. So maybe the name is appropriate after all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Who ate all the pies?Who ate all the pies?
Who ate all the pies?

This koala on the Forts walk did (eucalyptus pies)
Lookout to Alma BayLookout to Alma Bay
Lookout to Alma Bay

on the Arcadia Beach to Nelly Bay walk
Local dangers in Alma BayLocal dangers in Alma Bay
Local dangers in Alma Bay

If the stingers don't get you the coconuts will!
Sleeping in a tentSleeping in a tent
Sleeping in a tent

Flashpacking as the tent comes with double bed and hardwood floor!
The Maggie May at the Arcadia Beach HouseThe Maggie May at the Arcadia Beach House
The Maggie May at the Arcadia Beach House

A bbq out front and a bottle of shiraz goes down very nicely
Louise loves turtlesLouise loves turtles
Louise loves turtles

Magnetic Island in the background.


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb