Our day on Maggie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
August 5th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Vlad cuddling a CrocVlad cuddling a CrocVlad cuddling a Croc

Just pretend that you don't notice that the croc has its mouth tied shut.
Sunday morning, Derek and Amanda took us out to "Maggie", which is Magnetic Island, a suburb of Townsville. After about a 20 min ferry ride, we were there. Friends of Derek's live on the Island, so they met us at the ferry terminal and lent us their car for the day. Our first stop was the Koala Sanctuary. Vlad can now check "Hold a Crocodile" off of his list of things to do, and I can check off "Cuddle a Koala". We also got to pet lizards and snakes, and a cockatoo too!

Then, we headed for lunch with Phil and Robin (Derek's friends), and then set out to tour the Island. We went to several different Bays, with nice beaches and gorgeous views. We hiked to a couple of lookout points, and then did the "Forts" walk. The walk takes you by a bunch of army ruins. Maggie was a central lookout point in WW2, and they have the ruins of the some barracks and gun points, and radar stations. It's pretty cool because you can see the places where they tried to cover up their buildings with fake rocks. When we finally got to the top lookout, there was a sign that says that all of this was only in use for one month. All that work to make, and it was only used for a month!

We took the ferry home, and we were tired from a full, but great day.

Oz Oddities:
- I have finally learned how to order a lemonade. If you order a lemonade, they bring you a Sprite (which I learned the hard way, several times). You have to order a lemon Squash, or a Lemon Lift.
- Yummy Mummies with no bras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb