Karumba ... fishing capital


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Karumba
August 18th 2011
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Karumba … fishing capital

This morning we were woken early by rather strong winds. The caravan was filled with dust, and it took quite some time to do anything after our driving effort of the previous day.

When we finally emerged from the cocoon, we explored Karumba, and found there really wasn’t much to this place. We booked a table at the Sunset Tavern for Anthony’s birthday. We went to the grocery store to restock the cupboards and found the prices to be between 50 – 100% more expensive than anything in Sydney. Makes me wonder how people could live up here full time. We did treat ourselves to a seafood meal at the fish market (Raptis & Co .. who control the majority of the commercial fishing in northern Australia … owned by the Musemeci family who run a large portion of Sydney’s fish markets!). The local Barramundi was a delicious treat – recommend having it grilled! That was about the extent of Karumba, apart from the numerous fishing charters. Most fishing charters had been cancelled due to the high winds.

After an afternoon homework session, we wandered down to the beach to play with the shells in the sand, and watch the sunset. Dinner was cooked prawns ($15 a kilo) with salad and chips. Was a great family night.

Sidenote: Many of the caravans in this tourist park have been here for some time. Most of the grey nomads in this park venture here for the winter (coloquially they are known as snow-birds). One fellow told me he had been here since beginning of June, another advised he’d been here for 6 weeks, and will be for a further 2. Some seem to stay the entire season from May to September (Mother’s Day to Father’s Day). Wednesday evenings have some show of some sort (this week was Bob Magor, the Bush Poet), Thursday mornings are craft for the ladies (while the men fish, or tell tall tales), Friday nights are Roast Night. Each night at dusk, there are groups of caravanners congregating to chat over cheese, biscuits and alcohol – some even blend this with dinner. It is very organised, and reminds me of a continual Salvo camp for over 60s.

Song of the day : On the beach by Chris Rea

Game of the Day : Let’s build a garden out of shells on the beach…


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb