KARUMBA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Karumba
July 23rd 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Karumba SunsetKarumba SunsetKarumba Sunset

Fish and chips on the beach after a drink at the Sunset Tavern. Perfect!
Karumba was very unexpectedly busy with many many many fisherman. We came here to see what Peter's Uncle Bernie thought was so good. We can see the attraction but I don't think Bernie would like it as much any more. Too many tourists! Unfortunately the tides and the moon and the cold weather were not all that good for fishing but we did catch a nice Estury Cod 38.5 cm which we could keep. Everything else was too small. The people with boats were the only ones really catching anything and that seemed to be mackeral mostly. We wern't too keen to go out on the fishing kayak here as they do a croc tour everyday and if one of them didn't get us maybe a tiger shark would.

Fresh cooked Gulf Prawns 1kg for $15 was too hard to resist so we had them for lunch 2 days in a row on fresh bread rolls...Yum!
Then we couldn't go past a mango smoothie from Ash's which was also yum!
Seems our whole Karumba stay revolved around food because then we got the taste for Ash's seafood basket $18 and had to have it 2 nights in a row. The fish is so crispy battered and the prawn cutlets are massive!

Sunset at Karumba is famous and is brilliant!

Very hard to get used to the 31 deg day and then the 11 deg night then followed by very windy morning. Apparently not the usual weather.

Missed an opportunity to score an Engel fridge freezer, 1st prize in the local 8.5km run where the winner only ran 5 min per km. Oh well you got to be in it to win it, we thought some young school kid would knock out some elite time but that wasn't the case.

Grocery prices here are outrageous!!
A box of bbq shapes $7, powdered milk (normally $5-$6) is $11 so I really struggled to buy enough food for the next leg of our journey. Luckily meat was not too bad and the bakery was ok too.

Unleaded Petrol was $1.50 here

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb