Palm Cove to Ingham


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Ingham
August 5th 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Monday morning, rang TJM and yes, they have my credit card, so we called in there on the way south. Tried the post office again, but no luck with the envelope from school - still not in - can’t track it. Had to keep moving, so will check again in a few days to see if it can be forwarded on. Went to the bank and organised the block to be lifted from the Visa. It was a recently refurbished branch where the tellers sat at desks, no screens. They had a safe there and hardly any cash in case of a robbery. The girls said they felt safe amongst the customers, and it was so easy to speak to them.

Had a look at Babinda and The Boulders, it would be nice to camp there (free too), but only 1.30pm, too early to stop. Down to Josephine Falls, also very pretty. Got to Innisfail amid light drizzle. We looked around, but only place was to back track or use the roadside rest area on Cnr. Bruce & Palmerston Highways. It was very noisy! Kids will sleep inside - raining too much to pack up 3 wet canvas things. Enjoyed chicken, veggies and pasta sauce for tea. A fellow Ulti #593 only lives up the road and pulled in to say hello. He was nice enough. Will call back in the morning and show us his Ulti and what alterations he has made.

We woke up at 5.30am when all the trucks started moving. Packed up after breakkie and rang Col. He came past and we followed him to the Ulti in his garage just down the road. Checked out his alterations - some good, some we won’t bother with. Back to Innisfail and McDonald’s for a snack & supermarket for Kate’s snack (chocolate muffins), got snags & other stuff.

He suggested a drive to Paronella Park (not worth $96 entry fee) and look at it from the road and suspension bridge. We were lucky to walk on the suspension bridge, it was to be closed due to repairs. We could see the falls as well from the bridge. Along Cane Cutter Way, near Silkwood (old Bruce Hwy) was a nice small free camp on Liverpool Creek near the bridge, with toilets. Will remember that one for next time.

Drove through Mission Beach and looked out at Dunk Island. Saw one of the Ultimate Xtrk with Victorian plates. Continued on to Tully & paid for the sugar mill tour at 1.30pm. Kids climbed the golden gumboot - for most rainfall in an area. The tour was very interesting. Saw a kookaburra on the shed watching the cane trucks go past to the Tippler to see if he could spot a snake or a rat to eat.

On to Murray Falls - very pretty, on $5 per head for camping. Nice shady and sunny camping spots. Got down to the turn off and saw a field of smoke. They were burning off the sugar cane rubble (cut last week), so they can turn over the soil and replant for next year. We saw a bandicoot run out of the cane, across the field to safety, away from the fire.

The next free camp was a roadside stop 10km’s down the road. It was a bit full so we had a look at Edmund Kennedy NP. Supposed to be no camping, but safer than down a dead end or beside the road and we left nothing but our tyre tracks. Lots of mosquitoes and sandflies, so we sprayed ourselves, cooked inside and let the kids sleep on the couch again.

Got woken up early by a car arriving in car park at 5.30am. Scurried about to get up, dressed, packed up and out of there. Finally, we saw cane being cut at the side of the road, just coming into Ingham. Drove out to Wallaman Falls, it was a very steep climb with lovely views across the valley. A sign said the road not suitable for Buses, Caravans or Trailers. When we got to the car park at the summit there was an area marked for bus and caravan parking. A bit silly, but it is Queensland. Not a lot of water coming over the falls, but a very long drop. They are the longest/tallest fall in Australia. Walked to gorge lookout and it was a 2km steep descent to base of falls. Kate & I declined and stayed in the car to write in journals. Rod & Alex did the walk to the base. About 1.5 hours later they came back - Alex was exhausted. Spoke to a couple of teachers from Broome traveling for 6 months. Pointed out some good/must do places around Alice Springs. Back to Ingham for lunch - Alex fell asleep on the way. Had KFC for a treat.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Josephine FallsJosephine Falls
Josephine Falls

Alex & Kate on a good day!!
Tully Sugar Mill TourTully Sugar Mill Tour
Tully Sugar Mill Tour

Kate kept holding her nose (too smelly)
Wallaman FallsWallaman Falls
Wallaman Falls

Boy are they big!!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb