Hervey Bay and Fraser island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
August 15th 2012
Published: September 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: whales 16 secs
You should not forget that the first aim of our drive north was to find a job. We often looked at the ad on internet, asked some people, but we haven´t looked for really deeply yet. We woke some morning really early to ask farms but until here no success. Anyway approaching Brisbane, the idea was now to drive till there, do all the must do on the road and stop if we might see some work opportunities. Thus after the wonderful whitsundays, we continued south and we found more must do than jobs, so we did the must do 😊



The first coming up is the.......whales watching (it could almost be called whales touching!!) in Hervey Bay. That was a magical and unique experience. As usual, we showed in the early morning in order to get discount on the tickets, what we got once more! So we boarded in a boat for a half day trip. And there they were. Plenty of whales all around, that you can spot with the spray of water they made when breathing at the surface. When we spot some (easy to notice because one passager scream “WWHHHAAALLLLEEESSS” and one second after all the passengers are running everywhere screaming, moving, preparing the cameras etc), the boat approaches slowly and then stops. Already from a bit far it is so amazing and impressive to see them. And there is no word to describe when you get closer because when the boat stops, they come near the boat and play all around the boat. So they come so close that you could almost touch them. And they are so huge. But half a day was too short really, we could have stayed days there!!



But all things end so we took again the road in the direction of Rinbowbeach where we can take a barge for free (if you are a “no-vehicle passenger”) to join the sandiest island of the world: Fraser island. But for the night we slept at Tin can bay because we read that in the morning it is possible to feed dolphins. Unfortunately we did not find the place for the feeding but... we had an amazing sunrise with really mysterious fog and light.



When we got out of the barge, we effectively noticed that it was a sandy island. There are no roads, only 4 wheels are allowed and they drive on the beach. We followed the beach for a while and the saw a path going more inside. So we decided to quit the beach and try to see a bit more of the inside of the island. We end up in a sandy road with only one path. After a while we decided to have a look approximately where we were. The island is around 60 kms long and we only walked and had to be at 16 o´clock max for the boat. So we were a bit afraid to cross the island and end up too far. As we did not have a map (but we had compass) the only way to see where we were was to climb on a tree a try to spot the sea. And we saw the sea only 200 meters from us. So we cut into the bushes to join the beach again, where we were sure not to get lost.



After joining the beach again, we did some climbing and jumping in the sand, pretty fun. Then we walked a bit trying to find a place with shadow. We did find some trees but that was not enough so we both built our own shelter 😊 During our lunch time a dingo showed up, took a bath in the sea and chilled out. We watched him and then sit a bit closer, went to the sea while he was also bathing. That was a real great time for our first dingo meeting!



We have finally to come back to the boat, walking along the beach during 3 hours. We saw some dolphins. We cleaned a bit our way by taking all the rubbish we found, that was our green moment of the day.



To sum up what an experience, once more!! To be continued...


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0645s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb