Caboolture and strawberries


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Caboolture
August 17th 2012
Published: October 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
After all these amazing adventures and holidays time, it was time to refill the account for more adventures 😊

So we head Brisbane with the aim to find a job around. As we arrived the weekend, we spend half of the time visiting and half of the time at the library looking for a job. On sunday evening, we already had an answer for strawberry picking in Caboolture (40 min north from Brisbane). Erwan also watched the show of “Le Cirque du Soleil” as it was an opportunity that might not be here forever.

So we drove until Caboolture, ready to work on Monday morning. But when we rang the person for the work, it was in fact a private person, and they forgot to tell us that the work would start only on Tuesday. So we woke them up at 6 in the morning for nothing, oups. These persons are in fact privat persons hosting us (backpackers), letting almost the whole house, kitchen and bathroom for our own usage for a really really cheap cost. They are amazing and really helpful. So long to say about them.

And the husband know the owner of a farm so he was aware of a need or not for workers. So there we started to work, picking strawberries from 6 to 12 hours a day, first with a schedule 3 days in-1 day off and then 7/7. We were paid by kg picked so everyday was the challenge of doing better than the previous time😊

During one of our days off, we were heading Brisbane when our van suddently started to make strange noise until something finally broke. Here it is, it happened, our van is broken. To make it short, the mechanic guy told us it was dead but the guy hosting us, knowing about mechanic told us it was not hopeless and we thus decided to bring back the van, on a trailer, until the house. And there we started to dismantle everything. Until the day we discovered than one piston was broken! At least we found the problem and we even decided to buy a new kit of 4 piston and to redo the engine again. So that we can use the van again and sell it quite expensive because of a new engin. For this reason we thought it was worth it to do it, we´ll see....

In this house were others backpackers working as well, 2 germans, 1 estonian, 1 french and others who did not stay really long or came the lat days. We become really good friend with Valentin (French guy, a cook!) which made the days at work more pleasant, because more challenge more jokes, more fun. And back home, more motivation to do some gym or baasketball. And back from the sport, we have always had a really good meal. Weve eaten so much but so much during this month, so cool!!!

It is now the end of the Erwan-Loup trip. Because Erwan is flying to New-Zealand soon so he has to go to Sydney. It was plan to do this road together but since the van is stil not fixed, this won´t happen. So Loup is staying a bit more at the farm for more money and more time to fix the van, and Erwan is leaving to Sydney with a first step in Surfers Paradise because Val is driving there to meet a friend. So it is a new phase in the trip for both of us. Weird but exciting at the same time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb