Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay » Fraser Island
September 28th 2006
Published: October 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Went on a 3-day 4WD safari on the brilliant Fraser Island - the world's largest sand island. And when I say large, I mean more than just a piddly sandspit in the middle of the ocean! It's 123km long, has an area of 184,000 hectares and it's sand dunes reach heights of 200m! (don't you love my geeky facts)

Set off in 2 cars of 8, picking up our shopping list and booze on the way. Luckily had a really great group of 16 - mostly Brits, the usual funny Irish guys, some Americans to make fun of, the token Geordie joker and a few Europeans, including Germans who are always a bit weird!

Was brilliant driving through the sand and on some rough terrain - must admit the boys were the better drivers!

Highlights included:

- Lake Wabby - a gorgeous clear lake surrounded by huge expanse sand dunes, was like being in a desert and oasis at the same time!


- climbing to Indian Heads (despite doing it hungover in the blazing 8am sunshine) - a big rocky cliffs where you can sit and watch whales, dolphins and sharks swimming in the ocean below.


- the 'Champagne Pools' - rocky pools which are natural wave pools! The huge waves from the ocean crash over the sides of the rocks, making the pools fizz and bubble like champagne - so cool!


- the beautiful stunning Lake MacKenzie - a crystal clear turquiose lake, fringed by the whitest sands I've ever seen - absolute paradise.


At night, we camped right on the beach (although i decided it would be a great idea to sleep in the back of the truck on the first night - not quite a 5* hotel!), cooked up bbq's, drank goon and tried to avoid being eaten by dingos!

Really really brilliant fun and definitely the best thing I've done in Australia. Made some great friends and got BURNT to a crisp in the sun (who knew you could sunburn your lips??!).

Next stop - Whitsundays!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Maheno ship wreck The Maheno ship wreck
The Maheno ship wreck

This is just washed up on the beach - so random!


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb