Heron Island: A Dream


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
October 12th 2012
Published: October 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Straight off the boatStraight off the boatStraight off the boat

Setting foot on Heron
Heron Island was THE BESTTT. Our group spent a week tanning on the beach and snorkeling. And the crazy thing was - that was class. I had a "research" project where my team had to dive to the bottom of the ocean floor to measure the rugosity of corals and count the number of dascyllus aruanus fish species there. But really, that meant some chill snorkel time and moments spent out of a classroom. Life really can't get better than that.

I once woke up at 5:30am for a morning snorkel out on the jetti. The wetsuits hung dry and ready for us on the racks by the bathroom. I'm pretty sure I never used the same snorkel twice - ew. We saw dolphins, sharks, rays, giant sea turtles, bahjillions of fish, and a floating platyhelminthe (flatworm)! The holothurians (sea cucmbers) were pretty boring. We went out to the reef flats, shark bay, and the harbor - every day we saw something new.

Some of the greatest moments were waking up to Maggie's delicious oatmeal with cinnamin sugar, candied fruits, and granola. The woman knew how to cook but she was pretty scary and intimidating. We weren't allowed to
To the reefTo the reefTo the reef

Ready to snorkel
leave the table until our plates were scraped clean. She yelled at us a lot - I was in trouble from wanting a skewer of "beef". She forced me to eat chicken. But, I must say, her desserts were heavenly. I am going to miss those morning and afternoon teas.

The whole crew went on a night snorkel Saturday with glow sticks rubber-banded to our snorkels and waterproof flashlights in hand. The water was surprisingly warm! We saw a massive turtle by the shipwreck. The coolest part was looking out into the ocean at different groups casting a glow in the complete darkness.

To finish off the trip, we got to see an incredible sunset and visit our professor's resort. Everyone dressed up, ordered drinks, and sat on the beach under the stars. I really miss this place and would kill to go back. Being there "in class" was unreal. It was a dream.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Floating with friendsFloating with friends
Floating with friends

Catching our breath.
Got our gearGot our gear
Got our gear

Wetsuits are on.
Action shotAction shot
Action shot

Trying to stay underwater - wetsuits were pretty bouyant.
On the reef flatOn the reef flat
On the reef flat

Asian peace signs. Because we can.
The sunsetThe sunset
The sunset

What better way to end the trip.
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

Watching the sun go down.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb