HIT THE ROAD 'with uncle' JACK


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast
June 13th 2013
Published: June 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

And so the seasons turn, its now autumn, winter is coming. So its time to prep up for our next big adventure on the northern road. My vagabond uncle Jack and companion Lyndal, have hit many road and waterways and are heading home from their summer voyage on the Murray River. They have left their house boat until they return, with my brother Ron and his family at Tocumwal, they are heading home in the old bus. So its day 12 of autumn, we have set the rendevouz for J & L at Bicentennial Park in Ballina, our familiar camp of last year.

Long day doing last minute prep for freedom machine, and saying good bye to family and house, saw us leave late arvo. We arrived just in time to meet Jack and Lyndal for late dinner and starlight chat, before turning in for Night One of our new adventure. Sunrise, saw our first dawn, of our new adventure for 2013, we enjoy brekky and coffee around the table, pointing at maps to set up the convoy for the days travel. So we are off cruising up the familiar highway once more, thinking, Where oh where do we stop
Circle the WagonsCircle the WagonsCircle the Wagons

At outback not so spectacular
for lunch on this mad highway". So we are ringing Jacks mobile, Lyndal answers, we are going to set up for lunch at R.M Williams "Outback Spectacular" car park on the Goldy. "Roger that, meet you there", we answered

We were glad to exit the highway madness and melt into a slower more simpler time at the "Outback Spectacular" car park. We circled the wagons, and set up lunch. It was surreal to be in "Outback Spectacular", just metres off the Brute highway, with all the machines and frenetic people rushing somewhere all too fast. "Slow down you mad buggers, all is spectacular here in the not too distant outback".

Alternatively, just for a bit of surreal fun, maybe a Madbuggers In Suburbia Spectacular theme park, should be built somewhere in the remote outback, where country people could marvel at the MadBuggers, caught in endless traffic. They would laugh themselves silly, watching the madbuggers, going around and around getting nowhere fast, and for a bit of highway spectacular, they would not believe their eyes at the obligatory RoadRage spectacular. Out of nowhere this idiot driver, fails to indicate does a ewie in the middle of 6 lanes of traffic, resulting in the most spectacular 20 car pile up. Marveling at the hothead motorists punching each other out and yelling not nice things to each other. A little bit of panel biff, towies, ambos, firies and cops all rock up simultaneously adding to the confusion and general mayhem. And then some smart cocky "gets": the M.I.S.S acronym and laconically tells his son to give the "Big Smoke" a big "M.I.S.S". Meanwhile back in the Outback Spectacular carpark, take snap, pack up lunch and say our "fare you wells", as J & L are off to Lyndals house at Strathpine, and we rejoin the frenetic madbuggers as we head off to the sunny coast for night two.

Drive drive drive, remember to pay gateway bridge toll, where oh where oh where do we spend night 2. "Wait a second, lets pull into one of our favorite camps at Coochin Creek," all these old haunts from last year come in handy for this trip. Wake refreshed and ready to hit the road we ease into Day 3, and its back to La Balsa Park, Point Cartwright on the sunny coast, another familiar locale' on our map from last year. Cheers one and all, big love, Morningbird and Littleflower.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb