13 - 14 August 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast
August 14th 2012
Published: August 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On Monday we decided to head north-west up through the rolling hills and into the small farming town of Kilcoy. The coast is beautiful but we have found many great spots heading inland and Kilcoy was no exception. The local bakery was a hit for morning tea and then for the second night running we found ourselves staying at accommodation on showgrounds, this time at the Kilcoy Race Club. The grounds were striking and it was very peaceful. The bathrooms actually doubled as the jockeys' change rooms on a race day but we didn't see any of the ladies and gents out on the track.

Prior to heading out of town on Tuesday we made sure to donate more of our hard earned at the bakery and that would be the theme of the morning after stopping at the Old Fernvale Bakery as well. Now if we had known this was on the way we wouldn't have stopped in Kilcoy for breakfast (OK we probably would have anyway) as the Old Fernvale Bakery is rated as the number one bakery in Queensland having racked up over 100 awards over the past five years. And with over 100 varieties of pies on offer how could we not sample some of their very best?

From there we drove through Ipswich and down towards the Gold Coast. The reason for this is that we landed a house sit in the area which will be our base over the next few weeks. The van was in a dreadful state so we took it to a car wash to get rid of months of dirt and dust before meeting the owners of the house who were a fantastic couple. The area we are staying in is quiet, modern and has a park at the end of the street and multiple shopping centres close by. The two dogs who we are caring for are lovely old little critters who spend most of their days asleep in the sun. It will be nice to be living under a roof again that doesn't have four wheels under its base.

We left the owners to start the awful task of packing for their trip and landed in the heart of the Gold Coast for the night at a caravan park that was managed by the same group as the place where we stayed in Darwin. A tad expensive; however, the facilities were tip top and we were within walking distance of Harbour Town Gold Coast so after a bite to eat we walked across to the complex to catch a movie. Big day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb