Loving 'Surfers' 2nd - 4th Jan


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Surfers Paradise
January 2nd 2006
Published: February 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Uniquely PerfectUniquely PerfectUniquely Perfect

Some find it ugly but we loved it!
Thought I would mention this very misunderstood place very briefly.

We arrived feeling very sceptical as a result of all the bad reviews we had heard from EVERYONE all the way up and down the East Coast. I have to say that actually my fellow companions and I all really like Surfers Paradise.

Fair enough there are elements to the place that people may not like, such as big sky scrapers on the beach, skantily clad gold lame bikini wearing 'metermaids' who stroll the streets with uncompremised confidence. In addition, there are a lot of neon lights, pumping music, manic atmosphere and nightlife. But there is a beauty to this place that can be found within the bustling streets and long stretch of stunning white sandy beach that continues all the way down the length of the Gold Coast.

It has a great atmosphere and the hostel that we stayed in, 'Surfers Paradise Backpackers Lodge' has lovely people staying there and its only a 10-15min walk from the centre of town. There are two routes to take into town, the scenic or the direct road, either along the truly massive beach or along the Gold Coast Highway, that runs outside our hostel.

It has been a really fun place to visit and we are all so glad that we didn't take the advice of both our travel friends or bus drivers who also talked the place into the ground.
Initially we were due to stay for only 1 night and we ended up staying for 2. We'd have loved to stay longer, but the time scale being as it is has pushed us further up the east coast.

So for all the people out there bad mouthing 'Surfers' DON'T. If you take it on face value and just enjoy the fact thats its different then you can have a great time.

Isn't that the whole point of travelling? To see as many different places, environments and people as possible? Enjoy people I know you will.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Artistic KatArtistic Kat
Artistic Kat

2 hours of experimentation on the beach later...


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb