Glass House Mountains


Advertisement
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Aussie 164Aussie 164Aussie 164

view of the ocean from Mooloolaba beach
This morning Chris's parents flew into Brisbane, rented a car, and met us at the University of the Sunshine Coast. First we showed them the kangaroos then we took them to Mooloolaba to show them the ocean and grab something to eat at the Hog's Breath cafe. Here I learned that there is no ketchup, only tomato sauce. It's a lot thicker than American ketchup.

After some debate about what to do we decided to first walk around the area a little to look at a few mansions, and then drive over to the Glass House Mountains. *These mountains were formed as molten lava cooled to form hard rock in the cores of volcanoes between 26-27 million years ago. The source of the lava was from the East Australia hotspot. The surrounding softer rocks have been eroded in the subsequent time, forming the spectacular volcanic plugs that remain today.* We hiked around them until late in the afternoon. Assuming we were going to the beach that day Chris and I had worn sandles, and I had worn a skirt. It was pretty difficult making it up one of the paths we followed, but the view was definitely worth it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Aussie 165Aussie 165
Aussie 165

eating with Chris's parents
Aussie 166Aussie 166
Aussie 166

the beautiful mansions!
Aussie 167Aussie 167
Aussie 167

Chris and I with the Glass House Mountains
Aussie 176Aussie 176
Aussie 176

hiking up the mountain
Aussie 178Aussie 178
Aussie 178

the view from the top
Aussie 179Aussie 179
Aussie 179

Chris and Jim climbed up mostly the rest of the path. No way I was going to climb that in my attire!
Aussie 183Aussie 183
Aussie 183

he made it!


Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2169s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb