Fraser Island Fun!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
June 4th 2012
Published: June 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Before we tell you what we got up to on Fraser Island here's five fantastic Fraser facts:

1. It is the largest sand island in the world.

2.The only rainforest in the world to grow on sand is here.

3. Fraser has the highest sand dune in the world.

4. Fraser has 3 times more sand than the Sahara desert.

5. Fraser has 24 of the oldest plant species in the world (making it look a bit like Jurrasic Park)



On Fraser Island we got to drive 4X4's across the beach and through the rainforest. At first Rachel was a wimp and too scared to drive but eventually got behind the wheel and loved it! Our guide was brilliant, he was so intelligent and klnowledgable about the island, he taught us so much. He made the trip!!

At the start he warned us about all the bugs and animals that can kill us on the island (doubt Rachel would have gone if she knew before). We were quite complacent until we got to the camp and there were Dingo's everywhere! Luckily we didn't see any of the killer spiders and snakes, but we did have a close encounter with Dingo's! Dingo's are wild dogs that live on the island and to ward them off we had to look as tall as possible (difficult for Rach) and walk away backwards... not fun when your trying to go to the loo!

We got to see some amazing sights that can only be seen here and had a chance to swim in the purest freshwater lakes, filtered through sand over a minimum of 190 years. We floated down Eli Creek which was great fun but a little cold!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

A DingoA Dingo
A Dingo

They are killer animals... honest


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb