Fraser Island... 3rd-5th June


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
June 6th 2012
Published: June 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

Well it has been a few days now since I last wrote. I went to Fraser on Sunday morning and had a brilliant time there. We set off quite early, got our food and alcohol supplies, drove to the ferry and then travelled for 20 minutes over to the island. We had a massive 8 litre 4x4, it was awesome to drive and we all took it in turns. It was so weird driving on sand, but all the same, such an amazing thing to do. In our group there was Ian, Chris and Dale (all from Carlow town) and three girls from Derby, Harriet, Helen and Gemma. They were all couples travelling together.

Myself and Mike initially felt quite old, as most of the people on the trip were 18-23, but as we met others, it became a bit easier. We toured around a bit, taking in the old shipwreck that has been washed up on the island since 1935 and also a couple of beautiful beaches. Then we continued on to the camp, where we got our tents organised and changed for dinner. It was stak and salad and we all helped to make it really nice!

Following that, we boozed on quite a bit of goon(cheap wine) and fell into bed in the early hours. Monday morning, we were woken by Danny (our tour guide) at 7.30am. So knackered, but we got up to breckie of scrambled eggs- which were disgusting. Clear to know myself or Mike did not make or eat too much of it.

We went off to a beautiful spot- Lake Macenzie and spent quite a bit of time there, sunbathing and taking in the breathtaking views! Got a bit of a tan here, so was pleased about that!Then we went to a couple more beaches and gradually began touring alot of the island. This involved lots of driving and again we all took it in turns to do this. Later on in the vening, we went back to camp and organised dinner- asian chicken stirfry.. it was amazing! We had a few drinks, but we were so tired from the day-walking, swimming, driving and general hangovers that we couldn't really keep up so called it a night quite early.

A dingo broke in to our tent and attempted to eat Mike's runner- made a huge hole, so ther was a draft all night. We were freezing and couldn't sleep as the ground was so uncomfortable. We hadn't noticed it the night before, as we were too intoxicated, haha! But around 5, we decided to hop into the jeep and fell asleep there until we heard Danny calling again. We were exhausted. Lots more driving was on the agenda and we were bought to a beautiful part of the island to go on a 45 minute hill walk, which was actually lovely. Up there, there was a tranquil lake, which has gradually become smaller over the years... We stayed here and enjoyed a swim and as the weather was glorious, some of us managed to top up our tans! We walked back and had some lunch before heading back on the ferry.

Exhausted and feeling quite rough and dirty, we headed back to the mainland, dreaming of bed and a warm shower! After living in my swimming stuff and forgetting my bra (which most of you will know is like me losing a limb) I couldn't wait to get back to my case at the hostel. We had travelled with Mike's small bag, as we were told, there was not alot of room in thejeeps, due to food, drink, sleeping bags etc...

Arrive back and myself and Mike treat oursleves to a nice hoetl meal up the road and a much needed glass of real wine!! While the other backpackers got the slop they were serving at the hostel... We really are a prince and princess when it comes to looking after ourselves..

Go back and pack our bags, get a nice shower and as we have ahd hardly any sleep, crash really early. It's so nice to be in a bed again after being bitten by mossies and feeling as if all your fingers and toes are going to fall off. haha..

Up nice and early this morning, have some breckie and check out. We are off now to a town called 1770. Here we will enjoy a bbq later and some surfing tomorrow. So until we get there, I will sign off now and look forward to checking in again tomorrow.

Big good luck to Therese who is starting her exams today!! xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb