Day 54


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
November 21st 2010
Published: November 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

On day 54 we discovered that our guide Pete was more interested in plants than we first imagined, and after driving for approx. 2 hours through even bumpier terrain we discovered that our 6am start had been in vain as we arrived at a lake with a 2m viewing platform for turtles! The turtles were cute but after 30mins we had seen enough and so we set off for yet another hour and a half of bone jerking to arrive at......a tree!!!! The tree was slightly more interesting than normal trees but after 15mins of looking at the tree we were ever so slightly disgruntled and we got back in the cars once again with Elin behind the wheel to arrive at a very wet and not so interesting lake for lunch!! Not impressed by an hour and a half in the rain our group decided to head back to the beautiful car and eventually we set off again with Becky now taking the wheel! We were ever so slightly concerned when Becky asked how you stop a car but luckily we made it through to the beach and after only one minor handbrake incident on a massive hill we switched drivers again and Camilla took her turn! It started smoothly but as the tide was coming in we were forced to drive on the dry sand which ever so slightly terrified Camilla and after an hour of skidding we stopped and switched again and drove through the sand dunes up to the Champagne Pools! After 6 hours we finally reached what we had been waiting for and we spent a fun hour in and out of the champagne pools which fizzed up every time the waves came in through the rocks! Luckily we weren't cut to shreds and we then trekked up the cliff to India Head where we had stunning views of the Island and even a massive stingray in the ocean below! Tired, we retruned to camp where we showered in the dark before yet another feast and more drinking games before our final night of camping!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb