Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
August 28th 2010
Published: September 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We stayed in Pippies Hostel where we’d booked the tour from and it was a nice and friendly place. We went to Fraser Island in self-drive 4WDs with 11 other backpackers and a leader car with a guide to ensure safe driving. Tag along tours are the new thing for Fraser Island as you now need a guide to follow driving as there had been some bad accidents. Stuart had his go at driving and had fun dodging the waves and trying to not get stuck in the sand (Fraser Island is the world’s biggest sand island). We were really lucky with the weather as the sun shone every day and didn’t get cold in our tents. We camped at an Aborigine site and had camp fires toasting marshmallows listening to the local Aborigine man telling us about spirits and orbs. We got to see all the sites including Lake Mackenzie - a lake in the middle of nowhere with silicon sand and crystal clear blue waters. Our guide told us that the sand was so pure you could brush your teeth with it and put it in your hair. We also spotted some whales, dolphins and turtles from the top of Indian Head (a big cliff). All in all a good trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb