Fraser Island to Mooloolaba


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
April 28th 2010
Published: May 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The last day of Fraser Island we drive the other direction towards the Southern Tip to catch the ferry (barge) over to Rainbow beach. We start out at around 10am and I am worried about crossing Eli Creek as I have read that you can only cross 2 hours around low tide, which isn't until 1.30 today. However when we get there, there is nothing to worry about and we cross with a big splash (forgot to wind the windows up again) and we are on our way.

We stop at Happy Valley for a drink before we do more beach driving on our way to Lake Wabby which we are going to visit today. Lake Wabby is a 45 minute walk from the beach and you arrive at the top of a big sandblow and walk down onto the lake which is really spectacular. Shenton tries to take an old piece of plastic he finds and skid down into the lake but it doesnt really work and he just gets stuck on the way down.

This lake is the deapest on Fraser Island and swimming in it is brilliant after the hot walk to get there. We all take a dip and then head back on the walk to the car. We are just commenting that it is a shame we havent seen any Kangaroos or Dingos when we spot a Dingo on the beach scavenging for fish bait.

We just time it right with the tide and manage to get to the tip all the way on the beach, rather than having to take the inland road which I am sure would have taken ages. As we arrive one ferry is just leaving but it is such a short trip we can see the next one on its way over to us.

We have a little cartwheel competition on the beach while waiting for the ferry and as you can see I win hands down, even though Michael says we just missed his and his was the best :-)

As we get on the ferry we are one of two cars, we head up to the top to see the captain and we ask if its ok to take some pictures, he offers instead for Shenton and Michael to have a go at driving the barge. Shenton is first and has a quick go, then Michael takes the wheel, he is commenting that the boat is on autopilot as it seems to be drifiting towards the other barge coming in the opposite direction, he cant hear the captain saying "just turn the wheel mate" and keeps saying look I'm not doing anything while the Captain keeps repeating "yeah just turn the wheel now" "turn it" as we are getting nearer and nearer. In then end we are all telling Michael to turn the wheel and he finally does as we swerve and cause a big s shaped wake behind us. Michael then says I think you should take over now! Probably a good idea :-)

We drive up rainbow beach without too much of a problem and re-inflate the tyres now that we are back onto normal roads. We have a long drive back towards Brisbane as Michael is leaving us tomorrow and we need to get him back to the airport. We end up staying at Mooloolaba in a small motel near the beach. We have a nice meal that night and Michael takes 3 showers, I think to catch up from the camping expereince :-)

There is no surf the next day so we just relax by the pool, it is Michaels birthday so we get him a cake and candles, a "7" and a "2". The woman at the checkout says oh is someone 27 today and we say no they are 72! We have a lovely meal again that evening then drive Michael off to the airport for his late night flight to see his other son in Dubai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cartwheel contender #1Cartwheel contender #1
Cartwheel contender #1

Note the bendy legs!
Cartwheel contender #2Cartwheel contender #2
Cartwheel contender #2

The clear winner!
Cartwheel contender #3Cartwheel contender #3
Cartwheel contender #3

The start looks good.....
Contender #3Contender #3
Contender #3

What do you mean we missed it?


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0157s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb