4 Wheels, sand and adventure


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
April 10th 2009
Published: April 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cameron the tour guide extraordinaire picked us up at the shell station with a super 4 wheel drive bus. The drive to the ferry was not very bumpy. It was a funny way to get on a ferry. Just drive across the beach, though the water and on the ferry. When we arrived on the ferry we headed up to the viewing deck to see if we could spot any marine wildlife. The ride took about 10 minutes. Once we arrived at Fraser Island we took the old mining roads(very bumpy and dusty) to the sand highway. Fraser Island is the worlds largest sand island, 123km long and 15km wide.
Our first stop was Central Station. This was one of the old logging sites. We went on a tour of a rain forest. Yes a rain forest on a sand island. We walked by the whispering creek and saw some huge Satinay tree's and thousand year old ferns.
Our next stop was Lake Mackenzie. This beautiful clear lake is filled entirely with rain water. This is what earned Fraser Island it's world heritage status. The swimming was great. Lake Mackenzie is listed the 7th best place to take a dip in the world!
The journey to our next stop was a real 4x4 adventure. Recent storms have exposed the coffee rock making it a very challenging and bumpy trip. We arrived at the pinnacles(coloured sands) then moved to the Maheno Wreak and Eli creek.
On our way off the island we spotted a couple of Fraser Island Dingoes.

Another great Aussie Adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Whispering CreekWhispering Creek
Whispering Creek

Hard to see, but it actually has water in running along it
Coffee RockCoffee Rock
Coffee Rock

Can you magine driving over this?
The MahenoThe Maheno
The Maheno

'The most photographed piece of rust in the world' about 15000 pics per week


15th April 2009

love the pictures
hi adam and jon. we all love the pictures of the whispering creek , the dingo, and the sand highway. school is still really bouring,(suprise suprise) so was lake mackezie cold? see you soon room 8
15th April 2009

hey whats up??
Hey whats up its Paetyn and Rachel. And Rachel wonts to know why its called Coffee Rock? And if you wont to know me and Rachel think that is a cute Dingo. So what have you been doing lately? When you come back it is going to be pretty warm. Lunch see ya!
16th April 2009

Response to Room 8
Lake Mackenzie was not very cold. I'm not sure why it is called coffee rock. My favourite thing on the trip was snorkeling on the reef. We saw a lot of interesting things.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb