Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
June 9th 2007
Published: June 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So another adventure of australia.

I decided to leave Brisbane and head up north to the sun. I took the bus from Brisbane to Hervey bay which is about a 6 hr bus ride which was actually alright and I was pretty comfy. I got into Hervey Bay pretty late and just chilled in the hostel and got ready for fraser island which ihad to be up at 5:30am for.

Day One- I wasn't really sure what i got myself signed up for but it ended up beign awesome. I signed up for a self drive 4x4 tour of fraser island (which is the biggest sand island in the world) We headed out to the island and the weather was alright. We took the ferry cross which is really more like a barge of some sort. We then headed to the beach which is the highway on the island. We headed up to Indian heads which was RAINING OUT!! we couldn't walk up the rocks because it was raining that hard.. And im thinking to myself i left vancouver because i hate the rain and it followed me. We were told to camp on the beach and it would be the best fun YEAH RIGHT!!! so we headed inland to find a campsite where we could have a warm shower and bathrooms. So we head in land and find a "dingo safe" campsite... Imagine trying to set up camp with 5 british people that have NEVER CAMPED BEFORE!!! it was actually the funniest thing EVER!! We had tents that looked like they were straight out of world war II and they were not built for the rain.. OHH THATS BC ITS THE "SUNSHINE STATE" of australia. We had a good night had a few drinks and met up with another group that was hating it just as much.

Day Two- We wake up to the lovely sound of rain again. So we decided to drive down the beach and go inland and find another campsite with facilities. We stopped off at some famous ship wreck which really looked like a rust piece of nothing in the middle of the beach. The headed to Elli creek which was one of my favorite areas because you walk up a board walk then float down the river. Nevermind the eels and water snakes that are SWIMMING WITH YOU!!! We realized we were already wet enough so why not float down the river and get more wet wouldn't really hurt. I only saw one eel while floating down the river. The current actually takes you all the way to ocean, but you have to get out before you hit the ocean bc the tiger sharks will kill you and if that doesn't then the rip currents will suck you under. Great place tho!! Then we headed and set up camp at some base camp and its still pouring out rain so we all hope back the car (which we named penelope) and headed to Lake Mackenzie which was BREATHTAKING.. it was beautiful we all went for a swim in the rain THEN THE SUN CAME OUT AND WE SAW BLUE sky only for a few minutes but it was better than nothing. We then headed to a lake called Lake Wabbay and to the look out. While on the hike to the look out i decide to read the information sign and what does it warn me about SNAKES and not just any snakes PHYTONS!!!! yeah and it reads "there rarely seen but there everywhere at all times" that was the end of my fun!! but the lake was amazing. I dont' really know how to explain it but i will post pictures of it soon. Then we headed back to camp where we were joined by 3 other groups and just cooked a huge meal and drank a bunch. I met 5 british guys that im traveling with to airlie beach and there trying to get on my boat.

Day Three- IT WAS SUNNY!!!!! I woke up super early after sleeping in the van because i thought the snakes would come get me. It was an amazing thing to see the sun again and blue ski. We headed and looked at some other lakes which cant' even have fish in them because they are soo clean!!! Then headed back to Lake Mackenzie where we just laid on the beach and got a tan. Then headed back to the main land and now im sitting here waiting for my bus up to Airlie beach so i can go sailing on the whitsundays and see whithaven beach which im pretty pumped for!!

Ill post pictures as soon as i upload them somewhere!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.6kb