At the Bundaberg beaches


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Elliott Heads
August 18th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Bargara BeachBargara BeachBargara Beach

the caravan park was behind the surf club
We left Hervey Bay, first calling in to the Seafood Festival being held along the harbour front. There was a crowd of people, mostly sampling the seafood of all types, buying raffle tickets to win more seafood, trips, etc, listening to the music, or viewing the boats, and fishing gear on show - it was all there. We didn't stay long as we had some kilometres to do.

We had decided to have a few days at Bargara, on the coast from Bundaberg. It's quite an interesting coast in that it mostly consists of black scoria rocks with a few small sandy beaches between the rocks. Around Bargara there are quite a few holiday homes and units .. it's no doubt a popular spot in summer. In fact, it was popular in winter too as the very big caravan park at the beach was quite full. We had a big grassy site and enjoyed our time there and our walks along the beach and to Bargara shops.

We went back into Bundaberg one day to collect mail .. thanks Jules .. to do a food shop, and to see Red Dog at the movies. Now we've seen the statue
So many beaches like this hereSo many beaches like this hereSo many beaches like this here

taken from the northern end of the beach
of the dog at Dampier WA, seen the author and the star in person at the Writers' Festival .. now I need to read the book. We drove to Mon Repos, the turtle sanctuary just north of Bargara but it was closed .. February/March is the time to visit. Another trip was to Burnett Heads to the mouth of Burnett River - the river that flows through Bundaberg. There are big sugar silos and quite a lot of big boats there.

From Bargara, we went back down the coast some 20 or so kilometres to Elliott Heads to stay a couple of nights. It's popular with fisherman and there is an artificial reef a kilometre or so out to sea which also makes it popular with divers. We enjoy it here, especially liking the beautiful white river sand and turquoise water where the river runs to the sea. What we hadn't discovered on previous trips before was the surf beach there .. another nice little sandy beach between the rocks.

We have had lovely weather .. yesterday it came over grey and there were six spits of rain and then the clouds parted and we had sunshine and blue skies again. Bundaberg is having an air show this weekend so it will be busy in town.

Meanwhile, we're packing up and heading north to Agnes Waters for a few days and that is probably the furthest north we'll get this trip. It will be time to turn around and start heading south towards home.

Happy birthday, Jason! We'll all be thinking of you and we'll all celebrate with you in September! love xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Elliott Heads beachElliott Heads beach
Elliott Heads beach

and the next photo is taken from that groin at the end
Looking from the beach to the riverLooking from the beach to the river
Looking from the beach to the river

at low tide there were many fishermen along the river's edge
Across the mouth of the riverAcross the mouth of the river
Across the mouth of the river

lovely white sand and turquoise water


Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb