A Whale of a Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
August 12th 2011
Published: August 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


From Byron Bay, we had a night on the Gold Coast at Surfers Paradise and then three nights at Tewantin. We caught up on all the Noosa things, Eumundi markets, the beach, the shops, and some nice time with Kenda and John.

Now we are at Hervey Bay and today was magic. We were picked up after lunch and driven by bus to the boat to take us out to search for whales. We were taken about an hour out of the bay when we were told lunch was ready so we joined the queue to the food.

I noticed that the lady about three in front of me seemed familiar .. it was schoolfriend and bridesmaid, Betty, doing the whalewatch tour with her Probus Club. What a surprise for us both. We spent the rest of the cruise time not only looking at whales but catching up on our two or more years since we've seen each other.

We were taken closer to the spouts and waving fins we could see in the distance, being mindful that the boat couldn't get too close. However, these two young whales weren't having any of that! They came towards the boat, rolling, waving fin, head out of the water, diving under the boat to come up the other side, more rolling, waving, coming closer, head up to get a better look at us!

It was an amazing experience, we were so close and their curiousity lasted about an hour as we madly raced from side to side, front to back, following these wonderful creatures who were keen to get up close and personal to us!

So, quite an amazing day all in all, seeing Betty there, considering all the boats doing the tours on this afternoon, having such a wonderful view of two young whales .. it doesn't get much better!

Congratulations to our great little girls, Isis and Samsara, for wonderful Shakespearean performances!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb