Into the rainforest


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Daintree
October 7th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

to the cape


After a day's chilling in Port Douglas today's excursion was to the Daintree Rainforest and onward to Cape Tribulation where the Great Barrier Reef hits the mainland.

We ventured through the town of Mossman which was reminiscent of many an outback town which catered for the needs of all within a 50 mile radius of the town. It was before 9am as we passed through, and there was little activity except for those heading to the local school.

We continued on through the savannah or sugar lands of the region where harvesters were busily gathering the sugar cane for refining. Suddenly we entered the Great Daintree Park and immediately left the lush fertile lands of sugar and banana plantation to be met by a jurrasic forest, all now a world heritage site (but only since 1981). And so to a ferry crossing across the Great Daintree River, where crocs would amass, just not today. Onwards into the heartland of the forest, big tall ferns and pines stretching for the light and with humidity building it was time to reach our walk zone.

Having caught the rays yesterday and now a little russet in colour Schofey was factored up to the nines to avoid any more cooking. However, he was in good company, as his fellow tour members were more lobster in colour!

We stopped for morning tea in the surrounds of the rainforest, with the calls of the wilds all around us - definately more musical than in England with deep whoops and bright chirps - this was nature at its best.

We were about to enter a rainforest which was more than 150 million years old - as we walked around the forest we were introduced to new species of plant, and saw how trees lived of one another and helped the whole ecosystem - an amazing biocultural diversity going on with more species of plant and tree growing in 9000 hectares than the whole of North America!

As we headed back we were lucky enough to see a Cassowary - natures first creation of a bird that is a cross between the emu and ostrich family. We were also told that it would be quite predatory so to keep our distance as it would happily attack!!

Time to hit a fresh water stream for a dip and a cool of before heading up to Cape Tribulation for some time on the beach and a sea kayak - as well as a tasty lunch!

So as I hoped on board the sea kayak it was time to see what treasures the reef had to unfurl and we weren't disappointed - yet again mr and mrs sea turtle introduced to themselves as did a 3m sea snake - which I kepty a wide berth of, following my previous day's encounter! The reef here was much more colourful and closer to the surface too - truely a breath taking sight.

Back to dry land and time to head to the Daintree tour for a "croc-o-rama" onboard solar whisper. After a hour of fruitless searching we encountered some baby crocs 1m, 2 and 3m but these were small in comparison to Big Alfred, an 8m beast, who decided it was far too hot to grace us with his presence!

And so with that it was time to journey back and back to the Pool for my final night before heading to Brissie, BrisVegas or even Brissol... I kid you not!

Advertisement



8th October 2008

Dear Mr Whicker
I have been fighting the urge to resist posting some comments, as I am not normally a big fan of writing on t'internet. However, I have to say that your commentary and pictures has been really enjoyable - so keep up the good work. One question though, why only one visit to some of the greatest vineyards in the Sourthern Hemisphere? I would have expected at least one a day! Look forward to a decent wine evening at chez Pom on your return. All the best Mark

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb